Football - College Football HOF Players: Secretariat Image Gallery

Michael Joseph Holovak was an American football player, coach, and executive. He played college football at Boston College, where he was an All-American at fullback in 1942. Holovak was the fifth overall selection of the 1943 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Rams

This is not only a key rookie card, but it's the first card in a very tough set. Sid Luckman, with a powerful arm and mind, led the Chicago Bears to four NFL titles and five division championships during his career (1939-1950) and became the first successful T-formation quarterback. The Bears simply dominated teams during the 1940s. With Luckman's vast array of offensive plays, the Bears would absolutely destroy the opposition. They mauled the Washington Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 Championship Game. In a 56-7 victory, Luckman threw seven touchdown passes against the New York Giants during his 1943 MVP campaign. Later that same year, Luckman would throw for 276 yards, including five touchdown passes, in a 41-21 victory over the Washington Redskins in the championship game. For all of his success on the field, Luckman was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965. This card measures approximately 2 3/8" by 2 7/8" and is subject to two major condition obstacles: very poor centering and print defects that riddle the bright-colored background behind the image of Luckman. There is also a wide variance in eye-appeal with this issue due to an inconsistent printing process.

This is the only recognized rookie card of the Blonde bomber, and it resides in a very difficult set. After a brilliant college career at Texas, setting several career passing records, Bobby Layne became known for his clutch drives late in regulation as a pro for four different teams, but his greatest success came as a member of the Detroit Lions. In fact, Layne's last-second touchdown pass during the 1953 title game gave his team the championship. Layne would lead Detroit to four division titles and three NFL titles during the 1950s. By the time his career was over, Layne threw for 26,768 yards and 196 touchdowns. At the time of his retirement, Layne was the all-time leader in attempts, completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns. In addition, many people forget that Layne, one of football's great all-time quarterbacks, also kicked field goals on occasion. Layne was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967. This card, like all 1948 Leafs, is subject to a few major condition obstacles and this issue is one of the toughest on the list to find in high-grade.

William Adam Swiacki (October 2, 1922 – July 7, 1976) was an American football player and coach. He played college football as an end for Columbia University in 1946 and 1947 and was a consensus first-team All-American in 1947. He played professional football in the National Football League (NFL) for the New York Giants from 1948 to 1950 and for the Detroit Lions in 1951 and 1952. He was a member of the Lions' 1952 team that won the NFL championship. Swiacki began his college education at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. He played at the end position for the Holy Cross Crusaders football team in 1942. He then served as a second lieutenant and navigator on a B-17 Flying Fortress in the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. After the war, he attended Columbia University and played college football at the end position for the Columbia Lions in 1946 and 1947. On October 26, 1947, Swiacki gained national fame when his nine pass receptions led Columbia to a 21-20 victory over Army, breaking the Cadets' 32-game winning streak. At the end of the 1947 season, Swiacki was a consensus All-American, receiving first-team honors from, among others, the American Football Coaches Association, the Associated Press, the United Press, Collier's Weekly, the International News Service, and the Newspaper Enterprise Association.

College Football Hall of Fame. Played football, baseball and basketball at Texas earning 9 letters. Played minor league baseball and caught 7 TD passes playing for the Chicago Cardinals 1947 Championship team.

After the war, Justice was heavily recruited by Duke, North Carolina, and South Carolina. He was quoted as saying that he believed that an athlete should play in the state that he is going to make his career in[, so he chose the University of North Carolina. Being a war veteran, he knew he had no need of an athletic scholarship. Justice sent a proposal to both universities asking each to allow him to attend on his G.I. tuition money and give the scholarship to his wife. Only North Carolina accepted this. Thus Justice attended and played college football at the University of North Carolina under Carl Snavely, where he played tailback for four years. Justice was also an active member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity in his years at UNC. While there, he was named an All-American in 1948 and 1949, and finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting both years. While at North Carolina, Justice ran or threw for 64 touchdowns and set a team total-offense record of 4,883 yards, which stood until 1994. He was named the Most Valuable Player in the 1950 College All-Star Game, when he led the college team to a 17-7 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.[1] He ran for 133 yards which was 48 yards more than the entire Eagles Team. He had runs of 33 and 45 yards and caught a pass for 40 yards. During college, Johnny Long and his Orchestra recorded the song "All the Way, Choo Choo." Justice was drafted in the sixteenth round of the 1950 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins, but his professional career was hampered and ultimately cut short by injuries. In an exhibition game in 1952 in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Justice rushed 11 times for 199 yards (18.1 average), with runs of 46, 65 and 54 yards. He sustained a broken arm in the third quarter.[5]

Paul Joseph Christman (March 5, 1918 - March 2, 1970) (QB) was a two-time All-American as quarterback for the University of Missouri and was the school’s all-time leading passer for over 26 years, until it was broken in 1976. A St. Louis native, Christman went 20-8 in three seasons with the Tigers and led the nation in touchdowns in 1940. The Chicago Cardinals picked Paul in the second round of the 1941 NFL Draft. He played six seasons in the NFL with the Chicago Cardinals (1945-1950) and the Green Bay Packers (1950). In 1947, he helped lead the Cardinals to the NFL Championship as a member of the “Million Dollar Backfield.” Though he possessed poor ball handling skills, Christman finished his career with 7,294 passing yards with 504 completions in 1,140 attempts. Following his playing career, he worked as a color analyst for the American Football League and later moved to NFL broadcasting.

Single-wing football hardly emphasized the passing game, but that didn't curb the incredible ball-hawking talents of Louisiana State's Ken Kavanaugh. A fast and elusive receiver, Kavanaugh teamed with Leo Bird to give the Tigers an aerial combination unrivaled in the South during the late 1930s. Despite the reluctance to pass in those days, Kavanaugh snared 30 Bird throws in nine games, netting 467 yards to lead the nation's receivers in 1939 and earn the Most Valuable Player award in the Southeastern Conference. For his exceptional efforts, Kavanaugh was presented the Knute Rockne Memorial Award that year, the first lineman so honored. Following graduation, Kavanaugh joined the Chicago Bears and was an all-pro end. During World War II, Kavanaugh served as a bomber pilot and flew 30 missions over Germany, winning the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with four Oak Clusters. After the war, he rejoined the Bears to continue a brilliant career. In 1951, he moved to the New York Giants as assistant coach.

This is the key card in the 1948 Leaf set and an important rookie card of a quarterback legend. In a set that contains a hoard of key rookie cards such as those featuring Hall of Fame legends Leo Nomellini and Chuck Bednarik, this card is the most desirable of all. After college, Sammy Baugh signed with the St. Louis Cardinals as a third baseman but quickly changed his mind and set his sights on football. Slingin' Sammy became one of the most accurate passers of all-time. He would lead the league in passing six times, using a combination of short passes and long bombs. Baugh led the Washington Redskins to five championship games and was one of the charter members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963. Like several other football players of the era, Baugh was extremely versatile. In 1943, Baugh led the league in passing, punting and interceptions! As a punter, Baugh is still considered one of the best ever. In fact, his single season punting average of 51.4 yards per punt remains the record today. He finished his career with 21,886 passing yards and 187 touchdowns. While Baugh does have a Bowman rookie card, this Leaf issue is considered slightly more desirable. This card is subject to the typical condition obstacles associated with the issue, including poor centering, print defects, toning and inconsistent print quality.

At the age of 16, Dudley was awarded an athletic scholarship by the University of Virginia football team by coach Frank Murray.[4] As a result, he received a $500 grant, out of which he paid for room, board, and books. Although he was originally slated as a punter and placekicker, Dudley eventually came to play the halfback position. In his sophomore year, he began as the fifth back on the depth chart but, due to a teammate's injury, played several games. By his third year, Dudley started every game and was the Southern Conference's leader in total offensive yards. He was also successful in his senior year, particularly during a game against the University of North Carolina. In that game, Dudley scored all three touchdowns for Virginia and kicked four extra points. That season, he became the first Virginia player to earn All-America honors and was awarded the Maxwell Award for best college football player of the year. He was also named the best college player of the year by the Washington D.C. Touchdown Club. Dudley also led the nation in four categories: touchdowns with 18; points scored with 134; rushing average with 6.2 yards a play; and touchdowns responsible for with 29. After the season, he played in the East–West Shrine Game, where he intercepted four passes and threw for his team's touchdown in a 6–6 tie.He also played in the College All-Star Game in Chicago. Dudley was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1956, the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1966,

Rodney Thomas Franz played guard at the University of California from 1946 through 1949. Starting as a freshman recently released from the Army Air Corps, he played forty consecutive games, including two Rose Bowl games. He helped California turn around from a 2-7 season to 9-1, 10-1, 10-1 seasons, with two of those three losses coming in the Rose Bowl in close games with Northwestern and Ohio State. After gaining some honorable mention All-America notice as a freshman, Franz became only the second Pacific Coast player to become a three-time All-America (Washington State's Ed Goddard was the first), winning All-America mention in 1947, 1948 and unanimous selection in 1949. Franz not only opened holes on offense for backs like fellow Hall of Famer Jackie Jensen, he excelled at defense. In a game against Washington, in which the Bears allowed only 61 yards total offense, Franz admonished his teammates, "Let's tighten up, gang," he said, "they gained a yard that time." Following graduation, he coached high school football and then joined the California coaching staff, leaving in 1957 to enter business. Franz played one year under Frank Wickhorst and three under Lynn Waldorf. He was born Feb. 8, 1925 in San Francisco. He died Nov. 27, 1999, at Sacramento, Califorina.

Glenn Woodward “Mr. Outside” Davis (December 26, 1924 - March 9, 2005), though four inches shorter and 35 lbs. lighter than his counterpart, Felix “Doc” Blanchard, also known as Mr. Inside”, was perhaps the most dominant and best all-around athlete of the two’s tenure at the United States Military Academy at West Point, not only on the gridiron, but also on the baseball diamond, basketball court and in track and field. Glenn played under head coach Earl “Red” Blaik, who would later refer to Davis as “the best player I have seen, anywhere, any time.” Under Blaik and playing alongside All-American fullback Doc Blanchard, Glenn Davis became the nation’s premier halfback and in 1944 won the Maxwell Award as the best football player in the country. He would also finish second in Heisman Trophy voting that year and the next with the 1945 award going to his backfield mate Blanchard. During their time at Army, Davis and Blanchard led the Cadets to an undefeated 27-0-1 record over three seasons (1944-1946) with their only blemish coming at the hands of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish who held Army to a 0-0 tie in 1946.

Frank Cullen “Frankie” Albert (January 27, 1920 - September 4, 2002) (QB) is credited for inventing the bootleg play, which has the quarterback run along and behind the line of scrimmage toward either sideline before distributing the ball or carrying it himself. The Chicago Bears selected Frankie Albert in the first round of the 1942 NFL Draft out of Stanford University. He played one season in the Pacific Coast Football League with Los Angeles before joining the San Francisco 49ers of the All-American Football League in 1946. He led the league in 194 and 1949 in passing with 29 and 27 touchdowns respectively. Albert played seven seasons with the 49ers and was a four-time All-Pro selection and was selected for the 1950 Pro Bowl. In 1948, he was named the league’s co-MVP with Otto Graham of the Cleveland Browns. Albert played his entire career with the San Francisco 49ers (1946-1952), retiring with 3,847 career-passing yards on 316 completions in 601 attempts adding 27 touchdowns and 43 interceptions.

George “Barney” Poole (October 29, 1923 - April 12, 2005) (DE/E) played seven seasons of college football at defensive end and end with Ole Miss, North Carolina and Army due to the wartime efforts and eligibility rules. He was a three-time All-American with Army (1944) and Ole Miss (1947-1948). The New York Yankees selected Poole in the sixth round of the 1945 NFL Draft, though he did not report until the 1949 season. He played six season of professional football with the Yankees of the All-America Football Conference (1949 and the New York Yanks (1950-1951), Dallas Texans (1952), Baltimore Colts (1953) and the New York Giants (1954) of the National Football League. He played one more season of football in college than he did in the pros. Barney Poole played 69 professional contests, catching 12 passes for 188 yards and one touchdown. He recovered nine fumbles for 21 yards and compiled 226 all-purpose yards with the addition of 40 more kick and punt return yards. Barney Poole was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1974.

Claude Henry “Buddy” Young (January 5, 1926 - September 5, 1983) (HB/FB/DB) played a much larger game than his stature would indicate. As a 5’5”, 163-pound halfback at the University of Illinois, he was often mentioned alongside the Illinois great “Red” Grange as they had similar collegiate numbers, despite their significant playing style and size. Young’s incredible speed in track garnered him national attention as he won the National Collegiate Championships in the 100 and 220-yard dash, and tied the world record in the 60-yard dash (6.1 seconds). He also tied Grange’s Big Ten single season record of 10 touchdowns in his freshman campaign. After starring for the United States Navy service team during World War II, he returned to Illinois to finish his college career where he earned All-American honors. He joined the New York Yankees (1947-1949) of the All-America Football Conference until the team folded in 1949. He then played for the New York Yanks (1950-1951), the Dallas Texas (1952) and the Baltimore Colts (1953-1955). Buddy was one of the first black players to play in the NFL and earned the respect and admiration of his teammates and opposing players due to his blazing speed, his ability to play hard, but avoid the punishing blows from would-be tacklers and his infectious personality. He topped the 1,000 all-purpose yard mark five times in his career as he was utilized, as a back, receiving, punt returner and kickoff returner. In 1954, he was named to the NFL Pro Bowl. Buddy amassed 2,727 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns on 597 attempts; 2,711 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns on 179 receptions; 698 punt return yards and two touchdowns on 67 attempts and 3,465 kick return yards with four touchdowns in 125 returns. He finished his career with 264 total points on 44 all-purpose touchdowns and recovered nine fumbles defensively. Buddy Young was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1968.

Douglas Leon Atkins (May 8, 1930 - December 30, 2015) (DE) was said to have been traded from the Cleveland Browns to the Chicago Bears, by head coach Paul Brown, for allegedly belching during a team meeting. Atkins starred as a defensive end at the University of Tennessee, guiding the Volunteers to a 29-4-1 record from 1950-1952, the 1951 NCAA National Championship and earned All-American honors in his senior season (1952). Atkins is considered one of the greatest players in the history of the Southeastern Conference or SEC. The Cleveland Browns selected the All-American with the 11th overall pick of the 1953 NFL Draft. The massive, 6’8” tall, 257 pound, Atkins made an immediate impact on the NFL with his ability to pass rush, leaping over offensive blockers to force the opposing quarterback. He played two seasons with the Browns (1953-1954) before being traded to the Chicago, where he enjoyed his most success for twelve years (1955-1966) as a key figure in the Bears defense. He finished his career with the New Orleans Saints (1967-1969). Doug was notorious as an extremely efficient hitter and tackler, but even more so when he was angered. Opposing offensive linemen, quarterbacks and running back were keenly aware of this aspect of his game. Doug earned a 1963 NFL All-Pro First Team selection and was named to eight NFL Pro Bowl appearances, including seven consecutive (1957-1963). Doug Atkins finished his career with 11 fumble recoveries for 34 return yards, had three interceptions and scored two points on one safety. Doug Atkins was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

Herman Michael Hickman, Jr. (October 1, 1911 - April 25, 1958) was one of the greatest linemen in college football during the 1920s and was instrumental in the progression of football as a coach, announcer and reporter for many years after his playing days ended. Herman joined the University of Tennessee Volunteers football squad at the age of 17 and could outrun or at least keep pace with many of the running backs despite his much larger 205-pound frame. On December 5, 1931 as the Volunteers faced off against the New York University Violets, Hickman dominated the game and earned national attention for his complete overpowering of the NYU offense. During his tenure with Tennessee, the Vols put together a 27-1-2 record and Herman was presented with All-Southern Conference, All-American, Southeast Area All-Time, AP All-Time All-American honors and was named the 1956 recipient of the Touchdown Club of New York Award. Herman Hickman then played three seasons with the Brooklyn Dodgers (1932-1934) and scored eight points in the NFL on two field goals and two PATs in 24 games. While playing for Brooklyn, Hickman was also known at the “Tennessee Terror” of professional wrestling. He appeared in over 500 bouts while also playing for the Dodgers and even faced off against world champion George Zaharias. Once his professional playing days were over and wrestling was left behind, Herman turned to coaching and spent 13 years as an assistant at Wake Forest, North Carolina State and Army. He then became the head coach of the Yale University Bulldogs where he compiled a disappointing 16-17-2 record. Hickman became a renowned speaker and even had a number of shows in which he participated in, both on television and the radio. The highly educated Hickman became an early contributor to Sports Illustrated in the early 1950s. Herman Hickman was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1959.

The passing game was dominating Southwest football during the late 1930s, yet a fullback named John Kimbrough was proving at least one team was still getting the most out of the ground game. The hulking Texas A&M star ran through opposing defenses with a force that usually created its own holes in the line. This pile-driving back rushed his way to All- America honors in 1939 and 1940 and led the Aggies to 20 victories in 21 games during those two years. In 1939, it was a perfect 11-game record, a 14-13 victory over Tulane in the Sugar Bowl and the national championship. The following year, the Aggies went 9-1-0, beating Fordham in the Cotton Bowl, 13-12. There was no more familiar sight than that of the 6-2, 210-pound Kimbrough crashing across the goal line, his high knee action breaking tackle after tackle. Kimbrough's coach, Homer Norton, compared him to the legendary Red Grange, Jim Thorpe and Bronko Nagurski. There were few who disagreed. His nickname was Jarrin' John. In the Sugar Bowl victory over Tulane 14-13, he rushed for 152 yards in 26 carries and scored two touchdowns. Kimbrough served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps in World War II, retiring with the rank of captain. He played three years professionally with the Los Angeles Dons 1946-1948. Kimbrough became a rancher at Haskell, Texas, and served one term in the Texas Legislature

Ed Weir was a two-time All-America tackle 1924-1925, a two-time Nebraska football captain 1924-1925, a charter member of the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951. The Football Writers Association of America in 1970 voted him on its all-star lineup for the 1920s decade. Knute Rockne called him ?the greatest tackle I ever saw.? Weir said his greatest football thrills were Nebraska?s 1923 victory over Notre Dame, when the Four Horsemen were juniors, and its 1925 victory over Illinois when Red Grange was a senior. He played professionally with the Frankford Yellow Jackets 1926-1928. Weir stood 6-0, weighed 190-pounds, and was conference champion in the high hurdles. He returned to Nebraska in 1929 as assistant football and track coach, was head track coach 1939-1954 and assistant director of athletics 1955-68. His track teams won 10 conference championships in 16 years. He was a legend on campus, a man who lifted weights until age 70 and rode a bicycle to downtown Lincoln at age 85. He was called ?Mr. Nebraska Football.? Ed Weir was born March 14, 1903, in Superior, Nebraska, and died May 15, 1991. He is honored in his home town, Superior, by the annual Ed Weir Relays. The university, in 1974, dedicated Ed Weir Stadium, a site for track meets.

Southern Cal coach Howard Jones knew he had an unusual offensive weapon in halfback Erny Pinckert, so it was no surprise when Jones inserted a few tricks into his offense to suit Pinckert's talents. The dividends were a couple of Rose Bowl victories. The first of the big bowl triumphs came at the end of the 1929 season. The Trojans were playing Tulane when Pinckert pulled a pair of double reverses that produced touchdown runs of 30 and 27 yards in a 21-12 USC victory. Two years later, Pinckert was being used primarily as a blocking back, and the Trojans had ripped off nine straight victories after a season-opening loss to St. Mary's. Then came the Rose Bowl and a date with the Pitt Panthers. Unexpectedly, Jones went to a passing game with quarterback Russ Saunders looking to Pinckert with regular success. The result was a 47-14 Trojan rout of the Panthers. Pinckert was the USC backfield ace in 1929, when the Trojans averaged 40 points a game, out-scoring the competition 447-55. Pinckert never let up, gathering All-America honors after the 1930 and 1931 seasons. Pinckert stood 5-11 and weighed 189- pounds; but he was quick, durable and dedicated to hard, clean contact.

On October 22, 1932, Southern California defeated Stanford 13-0. It was Stanford's fifth consecutive loss to the Trojans. Two days later, members of the Stanford freshman team made a promise never to lose to Southern Cal. Two sportswriters overheard the conversation and the legend of the "Vow Boys" was born. Bobby Grayson was a 5-11, 190-pound back on that freshman squad. In his first varsity appearance against Southern Cal he scored Stanford's first touchdown as Stanford defeated the Trojans 13-7. The 1933 victory was the first of three consecutive wins over USC by Grayson and his "Vow Boy" teammates. As a bonus to the original vow, Stanford also defeated rival California three consecutive times in "The Big Game." In his three varsity seasons Grayson was part of a Stanford team that posted a 25-4-2 record and became the first team to play in three consecutive Rose Bowls. He was a two-time consensus All-America player. In the 1934 Rose Bowl he rushed for 152 yards, a Rose Bowl record that stood for 20 years. In addition to his offensive abilities he was an excellent defensive player. Against Washington he intercepted four passes returning two for touchdowns. Ernie Nevers said Grayson was "the best back I've ever seen." He died in November, 1981.

Nile Clarke Kinnick, Jr. (July 9, 1918 - June 2, 1943) was a promising college football star at the University of Iowa, a consensus First-Team All-American, and the 1939 Heisman Trophy winner. As halfback on the 1939 Hawkeyes squad, Kinnick played 402 of a possible 420 minutes, threw for 638 yards and 11 touchdowns on only 31 passes, and ran for 374 yards. He was involved in 16 of the 19 touchdowns that Iowa scored. Kinnick set 14 school records during his collegiate gridiron career. In addition to the Heisman (the only Iowa Hawkeye to be so honored), Kinnick won nearly every major athletic award during the season, including the Big Ten MVP award. Courted by both pro football and baseball following graduation, Kinnick instead entered law school. His career and life were cut short while training as a US Navy pilot during World War II. Kinnick was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951; Iowa renamed its football stadium “Kinnick Stadium” in 1972.

George Cafego (August 29, 1915–February 9, 1998) was quarterback, fullback and halfback who earned two All-America selections at the University of Tennesse between 1937-1939. He was selected by the Chicago Cardinals with the first overall pick in the 1940 NFL Draft, though he did not play for the Cardinals. He did play for the Brooklyn Dodgers (1940, 1943), Washington Redskins (1943) and Boston Yanks (1944-1945). After his playing days ended, Cafego spent many years as an assistant coach in college and the NFL. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1969.

Rear Admiral Thomas J. Hamilton is best identified as a man who "served his country in war and peace." The National Football Foundation named him to its Hall of Fame as a player in 1965 and awarded him its Gold Medal in 1970. Hamilton attended the U.S. Naval Academy. He was class president and All-America halfback. In 1926 he led the nation in field goals by drop-kick, with six. Navy went 9-0-1 with a national championship. In a 21-21 tie with Army, Hamilton led the charge to Navy's last touchdown and drop kicked the last point with 30 seconds to play. He graduated from the Academy in 1927 and won his wings as a Navy pilot at Pensacola in 1929. He founded the Navy V-5 Pre-flight Training Program in World War II. He served on the U.S.S. Enterprise and was commanding officer some of the time. The Enterprise, an aircraft carrier, took part in the invasion of the Philippines, Palau, Hollandia, Formosa and Iwo Jima. Hamilton's other credentials were equally brilliant. He became Naval Academy head coach at age 28 and served twice, 1934-36 and 1946-47. He was also Navy's athletic director 1948-49. Hamilton moved to the University of Pittsburgh, where he was athletic director 1949-59 and also served as football coach a full season in 1951 and for three games in 1954. He was commissioner of the Pac-8 Conference 1959- 71. Hamilton served as chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness, had 16 years on the U.S Olympic Committee, and was vice-president of the National Football Foundation. He received the Theodore Roosevelt Award from the NCAA, the Stagg Award from the National Association of College Directors of Athletics. Hamilton was born December 26, 1905, In Hoopeston, Illinois; he died April 3, 1994, in Chula Vista, California

Robert Lee "Bobby" Dodd was a winner all the way. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1959, as a coach in 1993. Dodd was Tennessee's quarterback from 1928-30, a smart game-breaker who always had the winning play. Against Florida in 1930 he got his teammates in a huddle and told them about a play he had used in high school. When the ball was snapped, it was placed on the ground unattended. The players ran in one direction. Then the center returned, picked up the ball, and waltzed to the winning touchdown. Tennessee's 3-year record with Dodd was 27-1-2. Tennessee fans had a motto: "In Dodd we trust." He worked 14 years as assistant to Bill Alexander at Georgia Tech 1931-44 and was head coach for 22 years from 1945-66, then director of athletics from 1967-76, and, finally, alumni fund raiser. His coaching record was 165-64-8. In the seasons 1946 through 1956, Dodd was in eight bowl games and won them all. He had a relaxed style. Furman Bisher, in the Atlanta Journal, called it "a kind of unbrusing football other coaches wouldn't understand...with runty halfbacks and lightweight linemen." Georgia Tech teams were flashy ball handlers. Sportswriters called it "Hot Magic." Frank Broyles, who played for Dodd, coached with him, and became a great head coach at Arkansas, said Dodd "had a mystique that was far above the average." He died June 21, 1988, at age 79, having served Georgia Tech 57 years. A citation from Georgia Tech alumni said he "represented the best of the Georgia Tech family."

Aaron Rosenberg was a vicious blocker and tackler, an All-America in 1932 and 1933. Stanford's Bob "Horse" Reynolds remembered him well: "He was a real talker, a whale of a holler guy, and he could live up to all that talk." Another Stanford All-American, Bobby Grayson, agreed. "He was an exciting athlete", Grayson said of Rosenberg. "He was the true motivating influence in that USC line. We had a tremendous amount of respect for him." Grayson recalled one of Rosenberg's best efforts, "He really gave it to us good when we lined up for the first time in that 1933 game, when the Trojans boasted a 27-game winning string. Though we won, 13-7, Rosenberg let us know we'd been in the football game." Rosenberg was a great motion picture director and producer, also. His finest film efforts included the box office hits, "The Glenn Miller Story" and "The Benny Goodman Story," as well as "Mutiny on the Bounty."

A steady pouring rain made a quagmire of Penn's Franklin Field that day in 1921 when the Quakers hosted underdog Cornell. It was to be Eddie Kaw's greatest day in football. The little Cornell halfback slithered and slid through the slime, scoring five of Cornell's six touchdowns as the Big Red handed Penn its worst defeat since the series between the two schools began in 1893. The final score was 41-0. The 5-10, 168- pound Kaw was named an All-American, an honor he won again in 1922. After the victory over Penn, the NEW YORK TIMES correspondent wrote, "There was only one thing more slippery than the mud, and that was the open field running of halfback Eddie Kaw, who was far ahead of any other player on the field... skipped over the ooze and water as if he were running on a cinder track, sidestepping a small lake and a Penn tackler with one and the same motion." Cornell was unbeaten during the 1921 and 1922 seasons, and during Kaw's three- year career the team posted a 22-2 record. Kaw graduated from the School of Architecture in 1925 and became an executive with Fox Films and Pathe News before joining a national dog food company.

William W. "Pudge" Heffelfinger played guard for Yale at 6-3, 195-pounds, and was the greatest lineman of his time. All- America selections originated in 1889, and Pudge was on the team. He repeated in 1890-91, his last two seasons at Yale. Heffelfinger continued playing for independent teams and on November 12, 1892, received $500 to help the Allegheny Athletic Association beat the Pittsburgh Athletic Club 6-0. This made Pudge the first professional player in the game. In 1893, he coached the University of California to a 5-1-1 record. Pudge launched a business career and published an annual booklet, "Heffelfinger's Football Facts." Pudge was famous for his durability. In 1916, at age 49, he scrimmaged against the Yale varsity. In 1920, age 53, he played 50 minutes for the East All-Stars against the Ohio State All-Stars at Columbus, Ohio. In 1930, age 63, he made his final appearance in a football uniform in an all-star game at Minneapolis. He produced the first sports quiz show on radio and the first spy show, "Secret Agent K-7." He was a charter member of the College Football Hall of Fame. Born December 20, 1867, Minneapolis; died April 2, 1954, Blessing, TX.

Byron Raymond “Whizzer” White (June 8, 1917 - April 15, 2002) (HB) was the first and only Supreme Court Justice from the State of Colorado, but originally gained national attention as a halfback for the Colorado Buffaloes and the Pittsburgh Pirates and Detroit Lions of the NFL in the early 1940s. The Pittsburgh Pirates (now the Steelers) took White with the fourth overall pick of the 1938 NFL Draft and he immediately impressed as he led the league in rushing yards (567), attempts (152), yards per games (51.5) and yards per scrimmage (655) in his first year. He earned the nickname “Whizzer” with the Buffaloes, a nickname that would stick with him throughout his life, but more importantly earned a Rhodes Scholarship from the University of Oxford. He took the 1939 season off, pursuing his academics at Hertford College, Oxford. White returned to play for the Detroit Lions (1940-19410 where he again led the league in rushing yards (514) and attempts (146). White was selected to the 1938 and 1940 NFL All-Pro First Teams, and then had his career cut short due to World War II when he entered the United States Navy. Rather than return to football, Whizzer chose to pursue a law degree. After working in the private sector, Byron White served as the United States Deputy Attorney General under Robert F. Kennedy. In 1962, President John F. Kennedy appointed White to the United States Supreme Court where he would serve from 1962-1993. Whizzer White finished his football career with 1,321 rushing yards and 301 passing yards. He scored 80 total points on 11 rushing touchdowns, one receiving touchdown and one interception returned for a score. Though his impact on the NFL was significant, his impact on America made history.

Harold "Brick" Muller could throw a football 60 yards on a line, yet his leg strength was such that he captured an Olympic Silver Medal in the 1920 high jump. At California, Muller never tasted defeat while starring for the Golden Bears during the era of coach Andy Smith's "Wonder Teams" of the West. Muller was a three-time All-America end, twice being named to the consensus first team. In California's 28-0 victory over Ohio State in the 1921 Rose Bowl, Muller got the ball on an end-around play. He stood at his own 45-yard line and threw a touchdown pass to Brodie Stephens, who caught it on the Buckeye goal-line, a tremendous heave in those days of the "fat" football. In later years, memories of that pass brought a chuckle to Muller: "At first, the ball was reported to have traveled 70 yards in the air," he related, "but over the years Los Angeles sports writers whittled it down to 53 yards." There would be fond memories other than those of the 1921 Rose Bowl triumph, as well; for instance, his scoring the only touchdown in the 1922 Ohio East-West Invitational Classic at Columbus. "Brick" followed his collegiate playing career with A.B. and M.D. degrees from Berkeley, and later practiced as an orthopedic surgeon.

Dick Kazmaier was the starting left halfback for Princeton's single-wing attack. In 1949 against Pennsylvania, he rushed 15 times for 135 yards and completed 12 of 14 passes. In 1951, he scored on runs of 13 and 61 yards in a 12-0 victory over Brown and had 360 yards total offense against Cornell. In that game, he rushed 18 times for 124 yards, completed 15 of 17 passes for 236 yards. He was All-America in 1950 and 1951. In 1951 he led the nation in total offense, 1827 yards, touchdowns responsible for, 22, and passing percentage, .626. That year he won the Heisman and Maxwell Trophies. United Press named him Player of the Year. Associated Press voted him Male Athlete of the Year. Time Magazine ran his picture on its cover (November 19). In three years he also punted 102 times for a 36-yard average. He graduated cum laude in 1952 and received the John Poe Award for student achievement. Kazmaier turned down pro football offers, obtained a master's in business administration at Harvard, and was in the U.S. Navy three years 1955-57, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He went into business, was president of five companies, and founded Kazmaier Associates. Kazmaier was a native of Maumee, Ohio, and attended Princeton on an academic scholarship. He served as a director of the Red Cross, director of the Ladies Professional Golfers Association, trustee of Princeton University, director of the Knight Foundation on Intercollegiate Athletics, and chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness. He served as National Football Foundation director and its president 1974- 86. The NCAA gave him its Silver Anniversary Award, the National Football Foundation its Distinguished American Award.

Larry Kelley was an innovator, a creator, an adventurer who played end for Yale. Allison Danzig of the New York Times called him a "genius who gets the touchdown regardless of the odds." Against Princeton in 1934, Kelley caught a pass, ran 30 yards and was trapped by two defenders at the goal line. He rammed between them and scored for a 7-0 Yale victory. Again against Princeton in 1936 Yale was down 16-0, rallied to win 26-23. Kelley straight-armed a defender and bulled his way to a crucial touchdown. He played six games against Harvard and Princeton, scored a touchdown in each game, and Yale won five of the games. After the 1936 season he was voted the Heisman Trophy. He was named Most Valuable Player in the East-West Shrine Game. At Yale he was captain of the football and baseball teams, also lettered in basketball and gave the Senior Oration. Lawrence M. Kelley was born in Conneaut, Ohio, May 30, 1915. He attended high school in Williamsport, Pennsylvania then attended Peddie School in New Jersey. After graduating from Yale, he taught math and history at Peddie and Cheshire Schools. He retired in 1975 and moved to Pensacola, Florida.

Melvin Jack Hein (August 22, 1909 – January 31, 1992), sometimes known as "Old Indestructible", was an American football player and coach. In the era of one-platoon football, he played as a center (then a position on both offense and defense) and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1954 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963 as part of the first class of inductees. He was also named to the National Football League (NFL) 50th, 75th, and 100th Anniversary All-Time Teams.

n the days before the Heisman Trophy, Ohio State produced two of its greatest players. Chic Harley was a star running back in the late teens, while a decade later Wes Fesler became one of the Buckeyes' greatest linemen. Fesler came to Ohio State from Youngstown, Ohio, where he was a four-sport star. At Ohio State, Fesler was Phi Beta Kappa, a baseball star, a basketball All-America, and a three-time football All-America. He played end and in 1929 he picked off a fumble and ran 95 yards for a touchdown against Northwestern. In 1930, he was voted the Most Valuable Player in the Big Ten. Jock Sutherland, the Pittsburgh coach, called him "a one man team. It is unbelievable how that boy can do so many things." He was Ohio State's leading receiver and on some plays moved into the backfield and threw passes. Fesler coached Wesleyan University 1941-42, Pittsburgh 1946, Ohio State 1947-50 and Minnesota 1951-53. His Ohio State coaching record was 21-13-3. His 1949 team was Big Ten co-champion and beat California in the Rose Bowl. Fesler died in July, 1989.

Sauer attended the University of Nebraska where he was an All-American halfback under Dana X. Bible from 1931-1933. After college, he played for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL) from 1935 to 1937, helping them win the 1936 NFL championship as their starting left halfback. Sauer left professional football in 1937 and coached at the University of New Hampshire from 1937 to 1941, compiling a record of 22-18-1.[1] He left his coaching position and enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1942 and was commissioned as an officer after completing the requisite training. After he completed his military service, he coached for two years at University of Kansas, he compiled a 15–3–2 (.786) record, winning the conference title in each season.[3] After he left Kansas, Sauer coached at the United States Naval Academy (1948–1949), and Baylor University (1950–1955), compiling a career college football record of 78–55–9 and earning trips to both the Orange Bowl and the Gator Bowl. Sauer remained at Baylor as Athletic Director until 1960 when he became the first General Manager of the New York Titans of the American Football League. The Titans later reorganized and in 1963 were renamed in as the New York Jets. As director of player personnel, Sauer drafted and signed his own son, George Sauer Jr. as a wide receiver. Sauer remained with the Jets until 1969 when he was named general manager of the Boston Patriots.

Texas Christian's "Slingshot" Sammy Baugh had torn the Southwest Conference apart in 1936 while a sophomore understudy named Davey O'Brien awaited his turn. Few felt this 5-7, 150-pound mite of a man could ever fill the shoes of the legendary Baugh. However, O'Brien proved a spectacular successor to the TCU quarterbacking throne. Like Baugh, O'Brien was destined to drive enemy defenses daffy with his incredible passing feats. Dutch Meyer, who coached both quarterbacks at TCU, compared his prized pupils, saying: "Baugh was a better all-around player than O'Brien, and a better passer, but as a field general Davey has never been equaled. He was the finest play selector I've ever seen." In 1938, O'Brien led TCU to an undefeated season and a national championship. He won the Heisman and Maxwell Awards and threw 19 touchdown passes. O'Brien played two years with the Philadelphia Eagles, 1939-40, and was All-Pro and Rookie of the Year, 1939. He quit football and spent 10 years as a special agent for the FBI, and in 1950 returned to Fort Worth to work in the oil business. He was born June 22, 1917, and died November 18, 1977. The Davey O'Brien Award, for the best quarterback each year, is named for him.

homas Dudley Harmon (September 28, 1919–March 15, 1990) played halfback at the University of Michigan from 1938-1940. He was an All-American in 1939 and 1940, and won the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and AP Athlete of the Year in 1940. He served as a pilot during World War II, and later played two seasons of professional football for the Los Angeles Rams. Harmon moved into the announcers booth after his playing days ended. He worked for CBS from 1950-1962 and did play-by-play for UCLA football games in the 1960s and 1970s, in addition to other responsibilities.

Stagg coached the University of Chicago Maroons against the University of Iowa in the first college game played with five players on a side on January 16, 1896 and led the school to seven Big Ten titles. He was also undefeated and untied in two seasons (1905, 1913) and undefeated but tied at least once in two other years (1899, 1908). Stagg’s expertise was not limited to football, as he also coached the university’s basketball squad (1920-1921) and baseball team (1893-1905, 1907-1913). After a forced retirement from Chicago, he joined the staff at College of the Pacific in California (1933-1946), where he was named AFCA Coach of the Year (1943) and later as an advisory coach at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (1947-1952) and Stockton College in California (1953-1958) before retiring at the age of 96. Stagg is credited with introducing or contributing to the development of a host of innovations to the gridiron during his lengthy association with the game including the huddle quick kick, spiral snap, tackling dummy, Statue of Liberty play, T-formation, forward pass, lateral pass, padded goalposts, and the linebacker position. In addition to his Big Ten titles, Stagg also had two National Championships (1905, 1913) and five NCAC titles (1936, 1938, 1940-1942) and compiled a 314-199-35 record in college football, 266-158-3 in college baseball, and 14-6 in college basketball. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951 (the only person selected as both a player and a coach) and the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1959.

Jerome Heartwell "Brud" Holland (January 9, 1916 – January 13, 1985), one of 13 children, was an American university president and diplomat. He was the first African American to play football at Cornell University, and was chosen as an All American in 1937 and 1938. He was also the first African American to chair the American Red Cross Board of Governors, which named its Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences in his honor.[1] He was the first African-American to sit on the board of the New York Stock Exchange (1972), and the first appointed to Massachusetts Institute of Technology's governing body

Don Moomaw is arguably UCLA's first great football player. He was the school's first two-time consensus All-American, earning the achievement in 1950 and '52 while playing linebacker and center for the Bruins. He was inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1973 and his UCLA number, 80, was retired.

Joe Alexander was a three-time All-America choice, making it as a guard in 1918-19 and center in 1920. He was Syracuse captain two years and also captained the lacrosse team one season. Alexander graduated from medical school and began practicing medicine in New York City. He specialized in lung treatment and helped found one of the first tuberculosis centers in New York. For seven years 1921-27 he played in the National Football League on weekends while practicing medicine. He was playing coach of the New York Giants in 1926 posting an 8-4-1 record. Playing for Syracuse in 1918 against Rutgers, he picked up a loose ball and ran 75 yards for a touchdown. He starred in a 1919 conquest of Pittsburgh. It was Pitt's first loss in four years. Against Colgate in 1920 he lined up on defense on the one-yard line. Colgate ran four plays. Alexander made the tackle on the first three and intercepted a pass on the fourth. He stood 5-11, weighed 210 pounds, and Walter Camp called him "a whirlwind with weight." In 1937 the New York World-Telegram named him on an all-time All-America team. In 1954 Syracuse University started the Joseph Alexander Award, given each year to a Syracuse player for excellence in football, scholarship, and citizenship. Alexander was born April 1, 1898, and died September 12, 1975.

Whenever Eastern football enthusiasts talk of clutch players, the name Ed Tryon is certain to enter the conversation. The Colgate halfback of the early 1920s was a master at saving the Maroon from embarrassment. Take, for example, Colgate's famous match-up with Ohio State in 1923. It was Tryon's touchdown runs of 65 and 25 yards which spelled a 23-23 deadlock with the Buckeyes. And, in 1925, the Colgate captain stunned Princeton when he scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 upset of the Tigers. That same year, his short scoring burst gave the Maroon a 7-7 tie with Lafayette and insured Colgate of an unbeaten season. "He was the hardest working athlete I ever coached," proclaimed Dick Harlow after Tryon was named All-American in 1925. And work, he did! Tryon was the most dedicated player a coach could ever imagine, always early to practice and most-often the last man to leave the field. He drilled for hour upon hour concentrating on his kicking and passing. But it was as a ball-carrier that Ed Tryon was most feared. A slippery-hipped runner, he was a great open-field man, elusive and quick. Sportswriter Tryon lettered four years at Colgate, 1922-25, and gained All-America mention the last two. As a freshman in 1922 he scored five touchdowns in a 59-0 victory over Columbia.

Edgar Garbisch played four years for Washington and Jefferson 1917-20 and four years for Army 1921-24. He was captain at W&J in 1920, captain at Army in 1924, All- America center in 1922, All-America guard in 1924. He stood 6 feet tall, weighed 185, and was a place kicker and drop kicker. In 1922 he place-kicked a 47-yard field goal to give Army a victory over Navy 17-14. In 1924 he drop- kicked 4 field goals as Army beat Navy 12-0. He played against Notre Dame five times; once at W&J, four times at Army - and played 60 minutes in all five games. Garbisch graduated 17th in a class of 245 at West Point, was cadet captain and captain of the tennis and football teams. He served 20 years in the Army Engineers, worked on procurement of engineering materials for the North Africa and Normandy invasions in World War II, and retired with the rank of colonel. He joined Grocery Products Co. as president. He collected art, specializing in Native American, and made important donations of art to the Metropolitan Museum and the National Gallery. Washington and Jefferson awarded him an honorary doctorate in fine arts in 1972. Garbisch was a trustee of Boys Club of America, a trustee of Pop Warner Little Scholars, and vice-president of the National Football Foundation. His father wanted him to be a pianist but gave up after watching teammates carry Edgar off the field following the 1924 Navy game. "They don't do that for pianists," he said. In 1926, two years after his last college game, he was chosen to play in the first East-West Shrine Game and was East captain. Still remembered at West Point is the prayer Garbisch said before his last game: "Please, dear God, help us to acquit ourselves like men and to play the game within the rules to the best of our abilities." Garbisch was born April 7, 1900, in Washington, Pennsylvania; he died December 13, 1979.

A man for all sports and an exceptional achiever in each, "Ollie" Oliphant played a brand of swivel-hipped football which would never be forgotten. Born in Bloomfield, Indiana, Oliphant started his college career at Purdue, where he won letters in football, basketball, baseball and track. But it was later, at Army, that his competitive versatility posed an unusual problem for the Academy's athletic council. Until Oliphant's arrival, only two cadets, George Patton and George Beavers, had won letters in three major sports. Elmer won four, forcing the athletic council to design a special monogram which remains the only one of its kind. During a career at Purdue, Oliphant developed his swirling, wriggling style of ball-carrying. But it was his toe which provided one of Purdue's most dramatic victories. Oliphant had suffered a broken ankle early in a game with Illinois, yet returned to action and kicked a field goal that defeated the Illini, 3-0. At Army, Oliphant established Academy records for most points in a single game, and most points in a season.

Alvin Nugent "Bo" McMillin (January 12, 1895 – March 31, 1952) was an American football player and coach at the collegiate and professional level. He played college football at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky, where he was a three-time All-American at quarterback, and led the Centre Praying Colonels to an upset victory over Harvard in 1921. McMillin was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player as part of its inaugural 1951 class. McMillin was the head football coach at Centenary College of Louisiana (1922–1924), Geneva College (1925–1927), Kansas State University (1928–1933) and Indiana University (1934–1947), compiling a career college football coaching record of 140–77–13. In 1945, he led Indiana to its first Big Ten Conference title and was named AFCA Coach of the Year. After graduating from Centre, McMillin played professionally with the Milwaukee Badgers and Cleveland Indians—two early National Football League (NFL) teams—in 1922 and 1923. He later returned to the NFL, coaching the Detroit Lions from 1948 to 1950 and the Philadelphia Eagles for the first two games of the 1951 season before his death. McMillin's career NFL coaching mark was 14–24. McMillin began his collegiate career at Centre College in Kentucky. McMillin was a poor student who supported himself by gambling[1] and liked to play football.[3] McMillin failed all his courses during his senior year, eventually receiving his A.B. degree from Centre in 1937 with credit for military service and courses taken after he left the college.[9] According to McMillin, he initially left Centre with $3,500 in debt.[10] Front and back of track medal Close-up of medal front and back Track medal (with detail) won by McMillin on April 27, 1917 He was a Hall-of-Fame, three-time All-American, triple-threat quarterback on the Centre Colonels football team under head coaches Chief Myers and Charley Moran. McMillin was the quarterback on Centre's all-time football team which was chosen in 1935.[11] He was nominated for the Associated Press All-Time Southeast 1869-1919-era team.[12] In McMillin's day of iron man football, he was also a safety man on defense and a kick returner on special teams.

One of Minnesota's greatest tackles, Ed Widseth "lived" in enemy backfields and was unquestionably the pillar of strength in the Gopher line during a truly remarkable era. In each of Widseth's varsity seasons, the Gophers claimed national championships. They lost but once in 24 games, the blemish a 6-0 upset decision to Northwestern in 1936. He was a three- time All-America tackle; in 1936 he was captain and was voted Minnesota's Most Valuable Player. A slashing, driving invader, Widseth used his 6-2 220-pound body to pummel opposing players, relentlessly advancing until the ball-carrier was within his grasp and quickly felled. Widseth also won two baseball letters as a first baseman and pitcher for Minnesota. He played professionally with the New York Giants 1937- 1940; an injury ended his career. Widseth coached St. Thomas College 1945-1946; his team won the Minnesota College Conference title both years.

John Green (September 15, 1924 – August 4, 1981) was an American football player and coach. He played college football at Tulane University in 1942 and was then appointed to the United States Military Academy where he played from 1943 to 1945. At Army, Green was a two-time All-American and played on consecutive national championship-winning teams in 1944 and 1945. Green served as the head football coach at Vanderbilt University from 1963 to 1966, compiling a record of 7–29–4. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1989.

Frank Merritt was a 6-foot, 3-inch, 215-pound tackle who made All-America in 1942 and 1943. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy June 6, 1944. Merritt served as a pilot and for the period 1967-1976 was director of athletics for the U.S. Air Force Academy. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf clusters, the Distinguished Unit Citation, and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award. In 1980 he was named to the Hall of Fame of NACDA (National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics). Frank Merrit was born July 20, 1920, in New York City; he died March 21, 1995.

The capacity crowd of 53,000 awaited anxiously in the Rose Bowl that New Years Day in 1925. Notre Dame's famed Four Horsemen were about to play Stanford. The Irish and the Horsemen won, 27-10, but no one would forget the courageous performance of Stanford fullback Ernie Nevers. Only five days after having a cast removed from a broken ankle, and with his foot bound tightly in a brace, Nevers dominated the game, setting a Rose Bowl record with 34 carries and gaining 114 yards, only 13 less than the combined total for Notre Dame's legendary backfield. And, for good measure, Nevers averaged 42 yards punting. Nevers was a block-busting back, spurred by a ferocity and pulsing competitive drive. Hall of Fame coach Glenn "Pop" Warner, who coached Nevers and the legendary Jim Thorpe picked Nevers over Thorpe as his personal choice as the "greatest football player of all time." In 1969, Nevers was named to Football's All-Time Team, which was part of college football's Centennial celebration. Nevers was Stanford's captain in 1925 when he led a 24-17 upset of arch rival California. He handled the ball on all but three plays as Stanford posted its first win over Cal in eight years.

Called by Grantland Rice, "the best all-around athlete Syracuse ever had," Victor Hanson was a three sport star for the Orangemen. In addition to being an All-America end, Hanson was an All-America in basketball and good enough in baseball to be signed by the New York Yankees. Hanson began his collegiate career in 1924 as the only sophomore on the varsity. A teammate on that 1924 team was future Hall of Fame coach Lynn Waldorf. During three varsity seasons Syracuse posted a 23-5-3 record. Hanson, playing end, called the plays for the offense. He captained the football, basketball and baseball teams. After graduation he played one year in baseball's minor leagues. He returned to Syracuse as an assistant coach in 1928 and 1929. In 1930, at the age of 27, Hanson was named head football coach. In seven seasons he posted a 33-21-5 record. He later became a prominent insurance counselor. Hanson was elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1973. He was born July 30, 1903, and died April 10, 1982.

Ed Franco was the youngest of nine children born to Italian immigrants, Nicola and Filomena Franco, on Christopher Street, in New York City. The family later moved to Jersey City, New Jersey, where Franco began to display his extraordinary athletic ability. He earned All-State honors at William L. Dickinson High School as both guard for the football team and catcher for baseball.[1] Seven Blocks of Granite college football fame After high school, Franco attended Fordham University, where he was elected president of his freshman class. He played guard and tackle for the legendary "Seven Blocks of Granite," coached by the "Sleepy" Jim Crowley, one of the famed Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. The 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m), 196-pound (89 kg) Franco was voted as a consensus All-American for both positions following the 1937 and 1938 seasons, only one of two Fordham players ever named consensus All-American.[2] He played alongside the famous Vince Lombardi, the right guard for the Blocks of Granite. In 1935 the Rams posted a 6-1-2 record with five shutouts. The 1936 squad lost only one game, the season finale to New York University. The Blocks saw their peak in 1937 with 8 wins, no losses, and no ties.

"I've just seen Superman in the flesh. He wears number 35 and goes by the name of Blanchard," were the words of Notre Dame coach Ed McKeever on first watching Felix "Doc" Blanchard. At Army 1944-46, Blanchard teamed with Glenn Davis to form college football's most honored backfield combination. Known as "Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside," Blanchard and Davis became the only members of the same backfield to become three-time consensus All-Americans and Heisman Trophy winners. During his three seasons at Army, Blanchard never played on a losing team , as only a 0-0 tie with Notre Dame in 1946 blemished a 27-0-1 record. In 1944, Army scored 56 points a game as the Cadets won the first of back-to-back national championships. The following season Blanchard won the Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Award. He also became the first football player to win the Sullivan Award as America's top amateur athlete. In a 28- game career he scored 38 touchdowns, leading the nation in scoring in 1945. Blanchard also played linebacker on defense and handled the Army kicking duties.

Dan Hill toiled in the gridiron trenches for the famed Iron Dukes of 1938. He was a center in the one platoon era when centers were also linebackers. He was All-America and co- captain of the 1938 Duke University team. The Iron Dukes won five games with the score 6-0 or 7-0. They were undefeated, untied and unscored upon in the regular season, losing finally in the Rose Bowl when Southern California scored with just 41 seconds left to play. His coach, Wallace Wade, called Hill "The heart of the team." In one game the regular quarterback was injured, and Hill called the plays. Duke had a 25-4-1 record in his three years. He graduated with honors, spent four years as a naval officer in World War II, and served Duke as assistant director of athletics, 1946-53. He left Duke and entered private business.

Michigan's Wolverines were driving toward the national championship in 1932, but the points weren't coming as easily as were the victories. Supported by one of the game's outstanding defenses, quarterback Harry Newman took personal charge of the offense and scored 31 of his team's 123 points that year. With a perfect 8-0-0 record, the nation's title belonged to Michigan, while Newman claimed unanimous All- America selection and the Helms Foundation Player of the Year award. They were the glory years for Michigan coach Harry Kipke, himself a Hall of Fame back from the Wolverine successes of the 1920s. With Newman at the helm, Kipke rarely had to worry about his team, because the crafty quarterback was a magnificent field leader and directed UM to three Big 10 titles. He piloted three teams to a combined record of 24-1-2. Following graduation, Newman played for the New York Giants. When Newman retired from football he became an executive with the Ford Motor Company.

The year was 1929 and in those days if you were 6-0 and weighed 175-pounds you could be a terror on the football field. Such was Joe Donchess, a standout end from Pittsburgh. Although Donchess left school in the fifth grade to work in a steel mill, his education did not end there. Five years later, he was "discovered" by an alumnus of Wyoming Seminary, who sent him to that famous prep school. Donchess turned out to be a brilliant scholar and made up three grades in one year. Donchess then went on to attend Pittsburgh where he earned scholastic as well as athletic distinction. The Panthers were undefeated in the 1929 regular season, the year Donchess was chosen as a consensus All-America. Pittsburgh went to the Rose Bowl that season, but despite its five All-America players, Pitt was defeated by the University of Southern California, 47-14. Donchess also participated in the 1928 Rose Bowl against Stanford, and again, despite a powerful team, suffered a bitter 7-6 defeat. Donchess was a second team Al-America as a sophomore and a first teamer the next season. In 1937, Joe became Assistant Chief Surgeon at U.S. Steel and then Chief Surgeon there in 1943, a position he held until his retirement in 1965.

Frank Manning “Bruiser” Kinard (October 23, 1914 - September 7, 1985) (T) was the first University of Mississippi player to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and was the first Ole Miss player named an All-American. Frank “Bruiser” Kinard played offensive tackle with Ole Miss before the Brooklyn Dodgers drafted him in 1938. Kinard played nine seasons for the Dodgers/Tigers (1938-1944), spent one year in the military then played for the New York Yankees (1946-1947) of the All-America Football Conference. Kinard was not your average oversized lineman, but earned the name Bruiser for his bone jarring hits, ferocious tackling and superb blocking ability. He was a full 60-minute player missing only one game due to injury and playing virtually every minute of every game. At Ole Miss, Bruiser played 708 minutes of 720 minutes in the 1936 season. He was a four-time NFL All-Pro First Team selection and was named to five consecutive NFL Pro Bowls (1938-1942). Bruiser Kinard retired with 42 total points on two touchdowns, 27 extra points and one field goal. Bruiser Kinard was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951.

This is one of the keys to the 1955 Topps All-American set and one of the most popular cards in the entire hobby. Knute Rockne, legendary coach for Notre Dame University, was a believer in the brains over brawn theory on the field. The Four Horsemen, which made up the backfield for the Fighting Irish, epitomized Rockne's philosophy and became a dominant force. Elmer Layden, Jim Crowley, Harry Stuhldreher and Don Miller made up the fearsome foursome, nicknamed after the four horsemen of the apocalypse by Grantland Rice, a sportswriter for the New York Herald Tribune. Despite being smaller than most of their opponents, these four helped lead their team to the Rose Bowl in 1925, defeating Stanford 27-10. In fact, Notre Dame went a perfect 10-0 that year. During the three years these four teammates played together, Notre Dame only lost twice in 30 games, both times falling to Nebraska. This card is difficult to find well-centered and, due to the large amount of white and yellow on the face of the card, print defects are very detectable.

Frank Francis Sinkwich Sr. (October 10, 1920 – October 22, 1990) was an American football player and coach. He won the Heisman Trophy in 1942 playing for the University of Georgia, making him the first recipient from the Southeastern Conference. In the course of a brief but celebrated career in professional football, Sinkwich was selected for the National Football League Most Valuable Player Award. He coached the Erie (PA) Vets semi-professional football team in 1949. Sinkwich was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1954. He went on to the University of Georgia to play under coach Wally Butts where he was a two-time All-America selection. In 1941 he led the nation in rushing yards with 209 carries for 1,103 yards. He set the NCAA single-season total offense record of 2,187 yards[4] and led the Bulldogs to an 11–1 season in 1942, capturing the Southeastern Conference championship and a victory over UCLA in the 1943 Rose Bowl. That same year, the Washington D.C. Touchdown Club honored Sinkwich as "back of the year", and he was overwhelmingly voted the "Number 1 athlete for 1942" in the annual poll by the Associated Press.

It was fourth down and four yards to go in the final quarter, the score tied at 14-14. Southern Methodist lined up in kick formation at the Texas Christian 37-yard line. Unexpectedly, Bob Finley broke from his punting stance and lofted a long pass toward the goal as Bobby Wilson raced across the chalk lines. Wilson grabbed the falling football on the four, and tumbled into the end zone for the score that gave SMU a 20- 14 victory which many feel was the most important in Southern Methodist gridiron history. Why? Because it led to a Rose Bowl appearance, and despite a 7-0 loss to Stanford, brought $85,000 in revenue - the exact amount needed to pay off the mortgage on the new SMU Stadium. Thus, Wilson's TD catch became known as the $85,000 touchdown. Bobby was one of the game's top little men, an All-America choice in both 1934 and 1935. Coached by Ray Morrison and Matty Bell, his long runs from scrimmage, his punt and kickoff returns and his team leadership not only helped SMU to a 12-game winning streak, but made him the first Southwest back to win All-America laurels. In 1934, Bobby led the Southwest Conference in scoring (48 points), then repeated the feat with 72 points in 1935, when SMU won the Southwest Conference Championship. Wilson was born August 16, 1913, in Nacogdoches Texas. He died May 15, 1999 in Brenham, Texas.

The Midshipmen of Navy, unbeaten and heavily favored, entered Harvard Stadium one October afternoon in 1941 and were about to be submarined by a Crimson guard Endicott Peabody. This lineman unleashed an attack that foiled the Midshipman attack at every corner. Peabody forced one fumble and recovered another, ending a pair of Navy scoring threats. It was one of his finest games as the two teams battled to a scoreless tie. Harvard was only a slightly better than average team at 12-8-4 during Peabody's three-year career. Harvard was 5-2-1 during Peabody's final campaign, the best Crimson mark during his tenure, and he earned unanimous All-America notice and placed sixth in the Heisman balloting. Endicott Peabody was governor of Massachusetts 1963-65.

Eugene Tucker McEver was an American football player and coach. He played college football at the University of Tennessee, where he was an All-American halfback. McEver served as the head football coach at Davidson College from 1936 to 1943 and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1944, compiling a career record of 22–54–5. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1954.

Bowden Wyatt was everything coach General Bob Neyland wanted in a player at Tennessee. He was dedicated, hard- working and intelligent - all the characteristics Neyland admired. Wyatt was a high school fullback. General Neyland, as Tennessee coach, made him an end. Wyatt stood 6-1, weighed 190, was a strong blocker, good receiver, and hard tackler. He started every game for three years as Tennessee went 23-5-3. In 1938, he made All-America and captained a team that went 11-0 and beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. It was Tennessee's first bowl game. Wyatt was assistant coach at Mississippi State from 1939-41 and 1946. (He was a lieutenant in the Navy in World War II.) He was the head coach at Wyoming from 1947-52 and Arkansas from 1953-54. Neyland had become Tennessee's director of athletics and he brought Wyatt back as head coach. Wyatt held that position eight years, 1955-62. He ended his coaching career as an assistant at Oklahoma State in 1964-65. Wyatt's 16-year totals as head coach were 99-56-5. He won four league championships--at Wyoming in the Skyline (1949-50), Arkansas in the Southwest (1954), and Tennessee in the Southeastern (1956). His 1956 Tennessee team went 10-1 and Wyatt was the nation's Coach of the Year. Wyatt was born Oct. 4, 1917, in Kingston, Tennessee. He died of viral pneumonia on Jan. 21, 1969 at age 51. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame a second time--this time as a coach in 1997.

John Jacob “Jay” Berwanger (March 19, 1914 - June 26, 2002) was the first recipient of the Downtown Athletic Club Trophy in 1935, which was renamed the Heisman Trophy the following season. Berwanger attended the University of Chicago where he starred on the football field and in track and field. In 1936, he set a school record as a track and field decathlete, which stood for over 70 years. Despite being recruited by Hall of Fame head coach Amos Alonzo Stagg, he played his collegiate career under Clark Shaughnessy after Stagg was forced into retirement. In 1934, as Chicago faced the University of Michigan, Jay ran over Wolverines center and future President of the United States Gerald Ford, leaving a distinctive scar over his left eye. He was considered a lock for the United States Olympic team in the decathlon, but chose not to try out for the team in order to begin working as a manager trainee for a sponge rubber manufacturer. The 1935 All-American and Heisman Trophy winner never played in the National Football League despite being the first player to be drafted in the inaugural 1936 NFL Draft. He briefly worked as a sportswriter and as legend has it, used the coveted Heisman as a doorstop for years to come until the award was eventually donated to the University of Chicago Hall of Fame.

As a Minnesota Gopher halfback, Lund was named All-Conference in both 1933 and in 1934, when he was the conference MVP. He was a consensus All-American in 1934. "Pug" Lund was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1958.

Benjamin G. "Bennie" Oosterbaan was born February 24, 1906, in Muskegon, Michigan. He became a freshman at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 1924, and that was his hometown the rest of his life. He died October 25, 1990, at age 84. He was at the university as a student, as assistant football coach 1928-47, head basketball coach 1938-46, head football coach 1948-58, and director of alumni relations 1959-72. As football player, he was All-America end three times 1925-27, captain and Most Valuable Player in 1927. The Football Writers Association named him to its all-time All- America modern team in 1974. In 1925 he led all Big 10 football players in scoring; he had eight touchdowns. In 1926 his 60-yard run with a recovered fumble helped Michigan to a 7-6 victory over Minnesota. He lettered three years in basketball and in 1928 led the Big Ten in scoring with 129 points in 12 games. He lettered three years in baseball and in 1928, led the Big Ten in batting. In 1928, he received Michigan's Big Ten medal, awarded annually for excellence in scholarship and athletics. His record as head football coach was 63-33-4. His 1948 team was undefeated national champion, and he was named Coach of the Year.

At 5-7 and 145-pounds, Irvine "Cotton" Warburton might have been overlooked as a collegiate back. The Southern Cal quarterback spent most of his Saturdays eluding enemy tacklers. Obviously, his mastery of elusion led to a mastery of illusion in later life. "Cotton" became a successful Hollywood film editor and won an Oscar for his work on the box office hit "Mary Poppins." Small but mighty, Warburton became the most publicized open-field runner of the 1930s, leading USC through a pair of smash gridiron hits in 1932 and 1933, earning unanimous All-America laurels in the latter year. During those two campaigns, the Trojans won 20 games, lost but one (13-7 to Stanford) and tied one (0-0 against Oregon State). Warburton's contribution to those triumphs included team leadership in rushing and scoring. His career average gain was over four yards per carry. There was a good reason for his ground-gaining accomplishments. The San Diego, California, native brought state championship speed to USC after winning the California schoolboy quarter-mile in 1930.

Yale partisans would burst into roars when Edwin "Ted" Coy got his hands on a football. The 6-0, 195-pound Eli fullback played in only one losing game during three varsity seasons. He was known for his abilities to lead the Bulldogs in come- from-behind victories. It was a familiar sight when Ted would burst through an enemy defense, his long blonde hair held back by a white sweatband. Coy was a pressure player who always seemed to come up with the big play. He ran through the line with hammering, high knee action then unleashed a fast, fluid running motion through the secondary. In 1907, he helped the Elis post a 9-0-1 record which was blemished only by a scoreless tie with Army. The next season, Coy repeated as a All-America as the Bulldogs finished with a 7-1-1 mark. That season he experienced his only collegiate loss, a 4-0 heartbreaker to Harvard in the final game of the year. As a senior, Coy captained the Yale club through one of the greatest seasons in Eli history. The Bulldogs finished 10-0-0 and ran off 209 points while holding every opponent scoreless. Coy was Yale football coach in 1910, when the team had a 6-2-2 record. In later years he held positions with Wall Street firms and wrote football articles for the New York World, Boston Globe, San Francisco Herald, and St. Nicholas Magazine. Coy was born May 23, 1888; he died September 8, 1935.

Albie Booth has been described as "the most exciting and crowd pleasing of all Yale football players." At 5-6, and 144- pounds, the Yale halfback was appropriately known as "Little Boy Blue." Despite playing well in the first three games of his 1929 sophomore season, Booth was not yet a starter when Yale met Army. Trailing 13-0 in the second quarter, Booth entered the game and delivered perhaps the greatest single game performance in Yale history. Scoring two touchdowns and drop-kicking both extra points, Booth put Yale into a 14- 13 lead. Later he clinched the victory with a 70- yard punt return and again added the extra point. On the day Booth scored all of Yale's 21 points, and gained 223 yards on 33 carries. Leg and hip injuries slowed Booth during his junior season. Returning to form in 1931 he played in one of the most exciting games in Yale history. Against Dartmouth, he scored three touchdowns. His first score was a 94 yard kickoff return, followed by a 22-yard pass reception and a 53-yard run from scrimmage. The contest ended in a 33-33 tie. At the time it was the highest scoring tie in college football history. Football historian Parke Davis called Booth, "A football genius, one of the greatest broken-field runners of our time." In 1931 Booth beat Harvard 3-0 with a drop-kicked field goal. The following spring he beat Harvard in a baseball game 4-3 by hitting a home run with the bases loaded. Booth served as assistant football coach at Yale and New York University and was a high-ranked football official. He was born February 1, 1908, and died March 1, 1959. The Albie Booth Memorial Boys Club, in New Haven, Connecticut is named for him.

Charles C. “Chuckin’ Charlie” O’Rourke (May 10, 1917 - April 14, 2000) was a stand-out athlete at Boston College who later displayed his stills at the professional level during the 1940s, and is one of the namesakes of the O'Rourke-McFadden Trophy. Although all of his records have been broken, O’Rourke was one of Boston College’s first star quarterbacks, who over a three-season career completed 69 of 150 passes for 1,108 yards and 14 touchdowns. Arguably, one of “Chuckin’ Charlie’s” greatest moments came during the 1941 Sugar Bowl, when he led the BC football team to one of its most famous wins with a 24-yard run late in the fourth quarter that gave the Eagles a 19-13 victory over the University of Tennessee. O’Rourke professional career began when he was selected in the 5th round of the 1941 NFL Draft. While with the Chicago Bears (1941-1942), he saw limited playing time as a back-up to future Hall of Famer Sid Luckman yet still completed 37 of 88 passes for 951 yards, 11 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions. After a few years away from the game he joined the All-American Football Conference’s Los Angeles Dons (1946-1947), completing 194 of 354 passes for 2,699 yards, 25 touchdowns, and 30 interceptions, before joining the AAFC’s Baltimore Colts (1948-1949) as a punter and back-up quarterback to Hall of Famer Y.A. Tittle. He later acted as the Colts’ assistant coach (1949-1950). To honor a meeting between O'Rourke and Clemson University’s Banks McFadden in the 1940 Cotton Bowl Classic, the O'Rourke-McFadden Trophy was introduced in 2008 and is awarded to the winner of the annual game between BC and Clemson.

Bob Odell did it all for Pennsylvania in 1943. He ran, passed, punted, caught passes, returned kickoffs and punts, and played defense. He made four major All-America teams, won the Maxwell Trophy, and was runner-up to Angelo Bertelli for the Heisman Trophy. He was an honor student and graduated with a degree in economics and history. Odell was an assistant coach at Yale, Temple, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, then head coach at Bucknell 1958-1964, Pennsylvania 1965-1970, and Williams 1971-1986. In his three playing seasons at Penn, the team record was 18-6-2 overall and 13-0-2 against Ivy League opponents. In the 1943 tie with Army 13-13, Odell scored the final touchdown by catching a pass over his shoulder and outrunning Glenn Davis to the end zone. He was captain his senior year and was given the Class of 1915 Award as Penn's outstanding man based on character, personality, scholarship, and athletic ability.

William M. "Willie" Heston was born September 9, 1878, on a farm at Galesburg, Illinois. His family moved to Grants Pass, Oregon, and he finished high school there. Willie then enrolled at San Jose Normal College - now San Jose State University. He was on the San Jose football team in 1898, 1899, and 1900. At San Jose State he played against a Stanford team coached by Fielding Yost in 1900. Yost moved to Michigan in 1901, and he encouraged Heston to join him and study law. Heston was a star on the Michigan teams 1901-1904. Those teams posted records of 11-0, 11-0, 11-0-1, 10-0, a total of 43-0-1. In scoring each year, Michigan went 550-0, 644-12, 565-6, 577-22: totals, 2,326-40. These were called the "Point-a-Minute" teams. Heston stood 5-8, weighed 190, and was a 10-flat sprinter in the 100-yard dash. Walter Camp named him on his third All-America team at halfback in 1901- 02 and on his first team 1903-04. When Michigan beat Stanford 49-0 in the Rose Bowl January 1, 1902, Heston, a freshman, did not score a touchdown but gained 170 yards on 18 rushes. School records show Heston's touchdowns for his four years - 20, 15, 15, 21; total, 71. In 1974, the Football Writers Association named him at halfback for the all-time team for the period 1869-1919. Heston coached Drake in 1905 (record: 4-4) and North Carolina State in 1906 (record: 3-2-4). He tried pro football with the Canton Bulldogs and suffered a broken leg playing against Massillon in his first game. Heston practiced law in Detroit and was Wayne County assistant prosecutor 1911-16 and county recorder 1917-23. Until he was 75, he ran a half-mile every morning for conditioning. Two sons, William Jr. and John, lettered in football at Michigan in the early 1930s. Willie Heston died on his 85th birthday September 9, 1963 at Traverse City, Michigan.

Chris "Red" Cagle played college football eight years. He starred at Southwestern Louisiana 1922-25, scoring 235 points on touchdowns, extra points and field goals. This was a school record that lasted until 1989. Cagle played four more years for Army 1926-29, and was All-America halfback the last three years. His longest runs were 75 yards against Yale, 1928; 70 yards against Ohio Wesleyan and 65 yards against Yale, 1929. In four years at Army he scored 169 points, averaged 6.4 yards per attempt in rushing and 26.4 yards on kickoff returns. He was team captain at Southwestern Louisiana in 1925 and Army in 1929. Cagle was a dashing runner who played with the chin strap loose from his helmet, and sometimes without helmet. Southwestern Louisiana had a 23-11-3 record in his time; Army was 30-8-2 with Cagle. Thus he played in 53 winning games in college. He was listed at 5-10 and 167 pounds. He also played five years in pro football and in 1934 founded the Touchdown Club of New York with Pudge Heffelfinger, John Heisman and Charles Pearson. Christian Keener Cagle was born May 1, 1905, in DeRidder, Louisiana. He died December 26, 1942, in mysterious circumstances. He was found unconscious at the bottom of a subway stair in New York.

Bill Hollenback had played the full 60 minutes of a bitterly contested game and limped back to the dressing room. A short time later it was discovered that Hollenback had played the better part of the game with a leg fracture, dislocations of both shoulders, shin splints and hip bruises. Thus was the toughness of football's Pioneer Era players - and Hollenback was undoubtedly one of the toughest. A hard-nosed running back, Hollenback preferred his action rough. And he was always ready. A native of Blueball, Pennsylvania, Hollenback opened and closed his playing career on national championship teams in 1904 and 1908, serving as the Penn captain as a senior. He started every game during the 1906, 1907 and 1908 campaigns and merited All-America recognition in 1906 and 1908. (He skipped the 1905 season). Hollenback was head coach at Penn State, Missouri, Syracuse and Penn Military, then became a football official.

Donald Montgomery Hutson (January 31, 1913 - June 26, 1997) (WR/S/K) is considered not only to be the first true modern day wide receiver, but also one of the greatest in the history of the National Football League. Curly Lambeau signed the University of Alabama star and utilized his tremendous speed, agility and ball handling skills as he developed his high-powered and unique offense. Hutson scored his first touchdown in his second game with Green Bay, where he played his entire career (1935-1945), amassing 105 total touchdowns in 11 seasons. Don led the NFL in receptions and yards per game eight times, seven times in receiving yards and nine times in touchdowns. He also led the league in interceptions and yards after an interception once. Hutson was named to eight consecutive All-Pro First Teams (1938-1945) and four consecutive Pro Bowl appearances (1939-1942). Don Hutson was named the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1941 and 1942, seasons where he scored 10 touchdowns with 738 receiving yards, and 17 touchdowns on 1,211 receiving yards, respectively. He was a member of three World Champion Green Bay Packers teams under Curly Lambeau (1936, 1939, 1944). Don Hutson surprisingly retired after eleven seasons with 7,991 receiving yards on 488 receptions, 105 total touchdowns in 116 games. Hutson held numerous receiving records at the time of his retirement and still holds several including most seasons leading the league in pass receptions (8), receiving touchdowns (9) and scoring (5). Don briefly joined the Packers coaching staff following his retirement from the playing field (1944-1948) before leaving football altogether. Don Hutson was a charter inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951.

Don Whitmire played tackle at 5-11 and 215-pounds for Alabama, 1941-1942 and Navy, 1943-1944. He made one All America (NEA) in 1942, was consensus All-America 1943, and unanimous All-America 1944. Rip Miller, Navy line coach, recruited him for Navy after spotting his picture in Street and Smith Football Magazine in 1943. The Washington Touchdown Club in 1944 voted Whitmire the Rockne Trophy as the nation's best lineman. Whitmire was brigade commander, the highest rank a midshipman can attain, at the Naval Academy. He was a rear admiral in the U.S. Navy and directed the evacuation of Saigon at the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. It was the biggest evacuation in world history, with 82,000 men, women and children escaping to freedom. When Don was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1956, his home town, Decatur, Alabama; held a parade, with 9,000 spectators lining the streets. In the four years he played college football, his teams had a 31-9 record. When he was elected to the Hall of Fame, he said, "Football taught me the virtue of team play and enhanced my leadership qualities. These traits have been most valuable in my Navy career. Football taught me to take hard knocks and come up fighting." Donald B. Whitmire was born July 1, 1922, in Giles County, Tennessee. He died May 4, 1991.

Joseph Paul Schmidt (January 19, 1932-) (LB) had an incredible ability to read opposing teams’ strategies, make adjustments and lead his team, dominating the opposition. Plagued with injuries in college, Schmidt saw his stock drop as he neared his pro career. In turn, the Detroit Lions selected Joe Schmidt in the seventh round of the 1953 NFL Draft out of the University of Pittsburgh. However, he immediately established himself as a defensive leader on the renowned Lions defense. Joe helped lead Detroit to the their second of two back-to-back NFL League Championships in his rookie season of 1953. In 1956, Schmidt was named the field captain of the Lions defense, calling plays according to how he interpreted the opposition’s formation. Four times in his career, Schmidt’s teammate named him the Lions Most Valuable Player. He played his entire career with the Detroit Lions (1953-1965), was named to 10 consecutive NFL Pro Bowls and was an eight-time NFL All-Pro First Team selection. During his 13-year career, Joe Schmidt had 24 interceptions, returning two for scores and recovered 17 fumbles returning one for a touchdown scoring 18 total points. Following his playing days, Schmidt became the head coach of the Detroit Lions (1967-1972) compiling a record of 43-34-7 in six years and 84 games. Joe Schmidt was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1973 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 2000.

This is the only recognized rookie card of one of the most dazzling running backs in NFL history. Before there was Walter Payton, a man by the name of Gale Sayers wowed Chicago Bears fans with his electric running game. From his incredible punt returns to his magical moves, Sayers brought excitement to the game. In his first season as a pro, Sayers set rookie records in touchdowns (22) and points (132), making an immediate impact on the sport. This four-time Pro Bowl selection finished with 9,435 combined net yards, 4,956 rushing yards and 336 points scored. In 1969, Sayers was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year after recovering from a serious knee injury. When his career came to an end, Sayers was the all-time leader in kickoff returns, ultimately being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977. This card is subject to the typical condition obstacles associated with the issue and is very difficult to find in PSA NM-MT 8 or better condition.