Nearly 4,000 lots expected to surpass $10M.
Heritage Auctions expects to continue to continue its lengthy streak of eight-figure quarterly auctions in mid-November, as nearly 4,000 lots are placed upon the auction block for the hobby’s largest global bidding audience Nov. 16-18. As is traditional for Heritage’s spring and fall events, the offerings span a vast range of sports, formats and values, ensuring that there will be targets for collectors of all disciplines and collecting budgets.
“We feel that these are the auctions that really help to bring ‘new blood’ into the hobby,” said Chris Ivy, director of Sports Collectibles at Heritage. “Every one of these auctions tends to add a several hundred new bidders to our ranks, and this kind of growth is essential to maintaining the bull market in sports collectibles that has endured for more than a decade now, and to keep Heritage in command of the pricing record books.”
The more gaudy offerings in this otherwise quite democratic event include six-figure game worn jerseys from Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra and others by Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron. Elite trading cards include Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Sandy Koufax rookies to stunning Mint 9 examples of the rare and coveted 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie (est. $200,000) and the 1952 Jackie Robinson (est. $80,000).
Heritage will sell the only known 1947 Jackie Robinson rookie jersey (est. $3 million) in its November 19th “Heroes of Sport” special auction, but this standard three-day event will feature the closing bookend of that essential baseball career, the 1962 Hall of Fame plaque presented to the brave racial pioneer upon his Cooperstown induction (est. $100,000).
Other key offerings within this sale include a trio of original oil paintings from famed American sports artist LeRoy Neiman, featuring the subjects Bjorn Borg, Tom Seaver and Greg Lemond.
Other highlights include:
- 1928-30 "Shoeless Joe" Jackson Signed Bat from 1918 Chicago White Sox Teammate (est. $200,000)
- 1928 Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig Dual-Signed Baseball (est. $40,000)
- 1948 Leaf Satchel Paige #8 PSA NM 7 (est. $100,000)
- 1955 Ted Williams All-Star Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 10 (est. $150,000)
- 1960 Roberto "Momen" Clemente World Series Game Used Bat, with Clemente Family Letter (est. $50,000)
- 1967-69 Gordie Howe Game Worn Detroit Red Wings Jersey (est. $80,000)
- 1980 Topps Larry Bird/Erving/Magic Johnson, PSA Gem Mint 10 (est. $80,000)
- 1984-85 Star Co. Michael Jordan #101 Signed Rookie BGS Mint 9, Autograph 10 (est. $50,000)
- 1990 Super Bowl XXV Lombardi Trophy Presented to Lawrence Taylor, with Player Letter (est. $40,000)
- 1994 Barry Sanders Game Worn Detroit Lions Jersey, Photo Matched with Team Letter (est. $40,000)
This auction is now open for bidding and will close in Extended Bidding format in three separate sessions on November 16-18 at 10 p.m. Central time.