Auction Features Highest-Graded, Complete Set of 1980-81 Topps Basketball Cards, One of the Hobby’s Most Unique & Coveted Collections
RUNNEMEDE, NJ – Goldin, the leading collectibles marketplace, announces its highly-anticipated Winter Elite Auction which features a diverse set of trading cards and collectibles poised to break records. The auction is headlined by ultra-rare and premier items from some of the greatest athletes of all time including Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Babe Ruth and Muhammad Ali, as well as rising stars such as Patrick Mahomes, Luka Doncic and Justin Herbert.
One of the most notable items in the auction is a complete set of incredible 1980-81 Topps Basketball PSA GEM MT 10 cards. Listed at LOT #1, the set is considered to be one of the ultimate collections in the hobby, and its highest-graded set. It boasts 176 different pieces, including cards featuring the debuts of Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Magic Johnson as well as of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Jack Sikma and George Gervin. Also included in the lot is a complete set (16) of 1980-81 Topps Basketball "Team Pin-Ups" Inserts, 1980-81 Topps Basketball Unopened Wax Pack graded PSA GEM MT 10 and a 1980-81 Topps Basketball 132-Card Uncut Sheet.
“The Topps collection in our auction is one of the most meticulously assembled and curated sets in existence,” said Goldin Auctions Executive Chairman and Founder Ken Goldin. “We’re incredibly excited to be offering this comprehensive and significant item, as well as a huge variety of premium vintage and modern trading cards and collectibles. If you’re serious about trading cards and basketball cards in particular, you’ll be tuned in to our Elite Auction because you’re not going to want to miss history.”
In addition to the 80-81 set, the auction features dozens of ultra-premium items, including:
- LOT #9: A 1971 Roberto Clemente Hillerich & Bradsby U1 Model Bat (graded PSA/DNA GU 10 with Letter of Provenance) used during the 1971 World Series
- LOT #11: Three factory sealed, unopened hobby cases of 2003-04 Upper Deck Basketball "Exquisite Collection" cards – with possible LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony rookie cards inside
- LOT #17: A 2020 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Superfractor Jasson Dominguez Signed 1st Bowman Rookie Card (graded PSA GEM MT 10) – this wholly unique Bowman pre-MLB debut collectible is signed in vibrant blue ink
- LOT #24: 1965 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Walkout Robe – photo matched to 5/25/1965 march versus Sonny Liston, which was his first fight/appearance As Muhammad Ali
- LOT #25: Tony Gwynn’s 3,000TH Career Hit ONL Coleman Baseball from 8/6/1999 game in Montreal – a significant piece of baseball history.
- And more!
Goldin has built a reputation as the trusted leader in trading cards, memorabilia and collectibles. In 2021, the company did over $330 million in sales. The Winter Goldin Elite Auction auction closes on February 5-6. Goldin Auctions is also actively accepting consignments for future auctions. To inquire about consigning items, email [email protected]
Goldin is the leading collectibles marketplace. Founder Ken Goldin has sold more than $1.4 billion in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history, and pop culture. The company routinely sets records for the most expensive trading cards and other memorabilia ever sold. Lifelong collectors and new hobbyists alike trust Goldin because the company professionally authenticates everything it sells. Goldin is the official auction partner of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, The Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association, The Jackie Robinson Foundation and the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. Learn more at Goldin.co, and on Twitter and Instagram.