Two-Session Auction Now Open For Bidding and Closes October 31st & November 1st
RUNNEMEDE, NJ – October 12, 2020 – Goldin Auctions 2020 October Legends is now open for bidding features the Cal Ripken Jr. personal collection that includes the sale of some of the most prized possessions from the personal collection of Cal Ripken, Jr. The two-session auction will be open until October 31st and November 1st and will also include one of the world's most rare and distinguished paper heirlooms – a 1909-11 T-206 Honus Wagner card that is expected to handily eclipse $1M.
The Cal Ripken, Jr. collection features game used items and memorabilia from the incredible and unparalleled career of Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr. from his first little league uniform, to his early days as a Baltimore Oriole, to items from his historic consecutive game streak, 3,000th hit, 400th home run, World Series Championship, retirement and more. A portion of all his items sold will benefit the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation.
“It is an honor to get the opportunity to work once again with Cal Ripken, Jr., said Goldin Auctions Founder and CEO Ken Goldin. “He is one of the most loved and important icons in American sports history and his on and off the field accomplishments are second to none.This collection is one of the most significantly important collections ever to come to auction of a modern baseball player.”
Cal Ripken, Jr. states: “over the last year I have had the chance to explore my collection and it amazed me how many unique items I was able to compile throughout my career. With the celebration of the 25th anniversary of 2131 still fresh in my mind, I thought this would be a great time to share some of them with other collectors and lovers of baseball. It will also raise funds for our work with kids under the Foundation named for my Dad.”
T-206 Wagner cards seldom surface, appearing once every few years at best, and each one's discovery constitutes a newsworthy occasion. The item's iconic design features a portrait of Baseball Hall of Famer Honus Wagner on the front, with his image revealed against a bold orange, contrasting background. The reverse carries an advertisement for "Sweet Caporal" cigarettes, a well-known brand at the time of the card's production. Wagner's likeness was removed from production early in the card promotion's run, and is consequently a great rarity now, more than a century later. Barely 50 copies have been confirmed to exist and just 33 examples have been professionally graded or validated as authentic by PSA.
“Although news accounts of our company's record-breaking, seven-figure prices realized for modern cards now occur on a monthly, or even weekly basis, our success in the vintage field remains as impressive as ever,” Goldin states. “Our unmatched expertise in all cards, old and new, along with the hobby's best marketing and promotional capabilities, ensures the very best results.”
The 2020 October Legends auction features over 1900 lots of high-end cards and memorabilia and is expected to be the highest revenue producing auction in Goldin Auctions history. There are several collections in addition to the Cal Ripken, Jr that include memorabilia from the Yankees championships, Floyd Mayweather, Jr., Bronko Nagurski, Nick Anderson and items from Mickey Mantle’s childhood.
- AUCTION HIGHLIGHTS
- Lot #1: 1909-11 T206 White Border Honus Wagner – PSA PR-FR 1 – The Collecting Hobby's Most Celebrated Rarity! - This is one of the very few collectibles on earth for which no explanatory description is required. The mere sight of a T206 Wagner is sufficient to provoke an unbelievably pleasant sensation, unique to each individual, within the emotional core of a baseball enthusiast. Graded PR-FR 1 by PSA, one of just three dozen copies across all levels to merit fully graded, numerical authentication by that company.
- Lot #2: 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle – PSA NM-MT 8 – An Incredibly Well-Centered Specimen! - Graded NM-MT 8 by PSA. Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle, in his most revered Rookie Card appearance. This outstanding card delivers condition to match its mystique. This example puts forth tremendous visual appeal, and reflects strong Near Mint to Mint condition.
- Lot #3: 2005/06 UD "Exquisite Collection" Logoman Autographed Patches Dual #DLA-JP Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen Dual-Signed Logoman Game Used Patch Card (#1/1) – PSA Authentic - Encapsulated and assessed "Authentic" by PSA. Hall of Famers Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, this is a commemorative that honors one of the most esteemed pairings in sport, a duo that challenges Ruth/Gehrig or Montana/Rice in terms of prestige and importance.
- Lot #4: 2011 Bowman Chrome (Superfractors) #175 Mike Trout Rookie Card (#1/1) – PSA GEM MT 10 - Presented here is a truly stellar collectible, featuring the Angels star Mike Trout, who is widely regarded as the greatest baseball player of his generation. This card is graded GEM MT 10 by PSA. Trout’s rookie card is one of the most widely pursued debut-year collectibles of our time. The wholly unique, limited-edition piece is serial-numbered "1/1."
- Lot #5: 1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan Rookie Card –98 GEM 10 "1 of 2!" - Graded 98 GEM 10. Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan is in his Rookie Card appearance. Presented is the cherished debut card of the youthful future pitching legend. Clearly, this is one of the finest Ryan rookies in the hobby!
- Lot #7: 2015-16 Connor McDavid Game Used & Photo Matched Edmonton Oilers White Jersey Used For 2 Games Including 1st NHL Goal Game On 10/13/2015 (Oilers/MeiGray & Sports Investors Authentication) - Connor McDavid entered the NHL in 2015-16 with the sky-high expectations befitting a first overall draft pick. The latest savior of the Edmonton Oilers franchise, McDavid almost instantly became one of the best players in hockey. McDavid wore this white Edmonton Oilers jersey during the game in which he recorded his first career goal. This jersey has been photo matched to that game and one other. This historic jersey from a future Hall of Famer comes with a LOA from the Oilers/MeiGray (M02827), authenticating that McDavid wore this jersey to score his first NHL goal. Additionally, there is a LOA from Sports Investors Authentication, who have photo matched this jersey.
- Lot #74: 1961/62 Fleer Basketball Unopened Wax Box (24 Packs) – BBCE Certified Includes Chamberlain Rookie on top of pack! - A complete and intact, counter-sales box of a treasured, vintage product is presented. The offered display box, and its 24 unopened 5¢ wax packs of 1961/62 Fleer basketball cards, are specialty items of wondrous importance. Any of the packs could contain Mint condition specimens of such coveted star and rookie cards as #'s 1 Attles, 3 Baylor, 8 Chamberlain, 10 Cousy, 19 Heinsohn, 34 Pettit, 36 Robertson, 38 Russell, 43 West, 47 Chamberlain IA, 49 Cousy IA, 61 Robertson IA, 62 Russell IA, 66 West IA and others.
- Lot #93: 2013 Panini Gold Standard Auto Jersey - Platinum #231 Giannis Antetokounmpo Signed Patch Rookie Card (#04/10) – PSA GEM MT 10 "1 of 1!" - Graded GEM MT 10 by PSA, the finest Giannis Antetokounmpo Rookie Card example among just three copies validated by that company. The two-time NBA MVP has placed a vibrant, blue ink signature on the obverse of this low-mintage collectible.
- Lot #84: 2003-04 "Ultimate Collection" #127 LeBron James Signed Rookie Card (#042/250) –10/Auto 10
- Lot #76: 1986/87 Fleer Basketball PSA GEM MT 10 Complete Set (132) - Each 1986/87 Fleer basketball card has been graded GEM MT 10 by PSA, one of only 19 fully-graded PSA GEM MT 10 sets on the PSA Set Registry. This 132-complete set of 1986/87 Fleer basketball cards, highlighted by #57 Michael Jordan's rookie card in unimprovable PSA GEM MT 10 condition.
- Lot #80: 1997-98 Metal Universe "Precious Metal Gems" Red #23 Michael Jordan (#056/100)
- Lot #252: 2020 Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl LIV Championship Ring Presented To Mike Weber (Weber LOA) - Manufactured by Jostens, this exquisite 10 karat gold Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl LIV Championship ring was presented to running back Mike Weber, who was signed to the Chiefs’ practice squad in January of 2020 after being released by the Dallas Cowboys. All told the ring weighs and incredible 84.79 grams and is a size 10 ½. has 244 round diamonds, 9 baguette diamonds and 2 marquise diamonds, along with 32 custom-cut rubies and 4 baguette rubies. This comes with a custom Jostens ring box and a letter of authenticity from Mike Weber.
- YANKEE CHAMPIONSHIP COLLECTION
- Lot #1321: 1998 New York Yankees World Series Trophy Presented To Orlando Hernandez - Presented is an actual Yankees championship Commissioner's trophy presented to Yankee pitcher Orlando Hernandez. This trophy was awarded to the Yankee pitcher following the 1998 Fall Classic.
- Lot #1317: 2009 New Yankees Stadium Oversized Tabletop Model on 52x49” Base - Exact To Scale Replica with Functioning LED Lights Constructed by Artist Steve Wolf - Presented here is one of the premier New York Yankees collectibles ever offered. Famed artist Steve Wolf has meticulously handcrafted this large replica of the new Yankee Stadium. This model sits on a custom 50 ½ x 48 x 30-inch wood table with 860 LEDs incorporated into the design. This impressive lot comes with a LOA from the artist Steve Wolf.
- Lot #1325: 2009 New York Yankees Full Size 24" World Series Commissioner's Trophy - This glorious trophy design is the end result of the season that welcomed the new Yankee Stadium with the franchise’s 27th World Series title. Approximately 24 inches tall, 13 inches in diameter and weighing more than 30 pounds, less than a handful of these impressive trophies were created for the Yankees’ ownership to display.
- FLOYD MAYWEATHER, JR. COLLECTION
- Lot #1420: 1996 Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight Worn Boxing Trunks Used During Atlanta 1996 Olympic Semi-Finals Controversial Decision Vs. Serafim Todorov (Resolution Photomatching) – These are the very shorts that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. wore during this semi-final defeat to Bulgaria’s Serafim Todorov in controversial fashion in the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. These shorts have been photo matched by Resolution Photomatching.
- Lot #1421: 1996 Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight Worn Red USA Tank Top Used During Summer Olympic Games vs. Artur Gevorgyan (Craig Hamilton LOA) - This Adidas tank top was worn by Floyd Mayweather, Jr. when he decisively beat Gevorgyan of Armenia 16-3 in points and advanced to the quarterfinals. This is a wonderful opportunity to own a match-worn item from Mayweather’s amateur career.
- BRONKO NAGURSKI COLLECTION
- Lot #1307: 1930 Bronko Nagurski Chicago Bears Uniform Players Rookie Contract Signed by Bronko Nagurski, George Halas & Edward “Dutch” Sternaman (Nagurski Family LOA) - This is a 1930 Bronko Nagurski-Chicago Bears uniform player contract signed by the Bears star, as well as legendary Chicago Bears head coach George Halas and Edward “Dutch” Sternaman. Comes with a LOA from the Nagurski family.
- Lot #1315: Hamilton Pocket Watch Presented To Bronko Nagurski (Nagurski Family LOA) – This is a Hamilton pocket watch presented to Hall of Fame Chicago Bears running back Bronko Nagurski. The white gold-colored 1¾-inch solid metal watch is engraved with the initials “BN” in an engraved shield on the back of the watch with accompanying scroll work engraved on the edges.
- NICK ANDERSON COLLECTION
- Lot #1407: 1989 Nick Anderson University of Illinois NCAA Final Four Ring with the Original Box - Former guard Nick Anderson led the University of Illinois to an appearance in the Final Four in 1989. This is the NCAA Final Four ring presented to Nick Anderson. This Lustrium ring has a large black stone on top with “NCAA” printed in gold. “1989” and “FINAL FOUR” are in raised lettering on the outside top.
- Lot #1389: 1986 Nick Anderson Chicago Tribune Mr. Basketball of Illinois Trophy – This is Nick Anderson’s 1986 Chicago Tribune “Mr. Basketball of Illinois” trophy. Anderson was named "Illinois Mr. Basketball" for 1986 after leading his team to the city championship and a top national ranking in USA Today.
- MICKEY MANTLE CHILDHOOD COLLECTION
- Lot #1305: 1949 Mickey Mantle Signed Commerce High School Senior Yearbook – This is a 1949 Mickey Mantle signed Commerce (Oklahoma) High School senior yearbook. The Hall of Fame New York Yankees centerfielder inscribed “Mick Mantle” in block letters in black ink on page seven of his alma mater’s yearbook, over his portrait.
- Lot #1298: Mickey Mantle Original 3x4" Grammar School Photo - The Earliest Professional Mickey Mantle Studio Photograph! – This is a Mickey Mantle original grammar school photograph. The 2¼ x 3½-inch black and white portrait captures the youthful boy, recognizable even at that age as a charming character, in a dark open-collared shirt with light t-shirt, a broad smile and slicked-down hair with a part on the left. The earliest known professional Mickey Mantle studio photograph.
- About Goldin Auctions
- Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $700 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold a Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $3.12 million, a 2003-04 UD "Exquisite Collection" #78 LeBron James Signed Rookie Card (#14/23) – "Rookie Patch Parallel" (RPP) –9.5/10 – that sold modern card record $1,845,000, a Babe Ruth's 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, a 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout Prospects Red Refractor – 9.5 for $922,500 the record for a Modern Baseball Card, a 2003-04 LeBron James Game Used Rookie Jersey for $392,500 the highest paid for a LeBron James Rookie Jersey, the Mike Piazza Post-9/11 home run jersey for $365,000, and the 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky PSA GEM MT 10 rookie card for a record $465,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. Goldin Auctions is the official auction partner of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Jackie Robinson Foundation, the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association and the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com.