Memory Lane's Auction closes this week, September 13
Just three months after breaking a company record with $2.8 million in sales of vintage sports cards and memorabilia, Memory Lane Inc. returns with yet another incredible lineup for its next auction. Featuring items ranging from a 1936 New York Yankees championship ring to a giant Ted Williams 'Ted's Root Beer' display piece and high grade vintage baseball cards, the auction is packed with items appealing to a wide audience of sports collectors. Their auction is currently open for bidding and closes this week on September 13. Bidding options available on-line at www.memorylaneinc.com or via telephone.
Goodwin & Company's Auction closes next week, September 18
Goodwin & Company's Masterpieces and Uncommon Commons XVIII' is open for bidding. The auction closes Thursday, September 18th, 2008. Highlighted in the auction is the finest Brunners Bread set in the hobby. Check out the auction now!
Mile High Card Company's Auction closes October 1
Mile High Card Company current auction is now open for bidding. The auction includes sports cards and memorabilia, including graded cards, unopened wax, game used jereseys, and much more. To bid call or visit www.milehighcardco.com. The auction runs through October 1, 2008.
Taking My Hacks: Defying a Recession
The economy is struggling. There is no question about it. So, how is the hobby doing? Well, at the high-end of the market, record prices continue to steal the headlines. How can that be possible in the environment our country finds itself in? Is it the desire for tangible assets? Is it the sentimental attachment to the items? In the following piece, PSA President Joe Orlando explains how some sports collectibles continue to escalate in value despite the challenges that face consumers. Click here to read on.
1911 T201 Mecca Double Folders: A Double Steal for Vintage Collectors
The 1911 T201 Mecca Double Folder set is one that has been overlooked for quite some time. Does it have star power? Yes. Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Napoleon Lajoie, Christy Mathewson and Tris Speaker are just some of the major names that make up the set. Are the cards within the set considered condition rarities? Yes. These are very, very tough and are, in many cases, much tougher than some of the other issues manufactured during the era. Their large design and unique two-player, folding format ensures that difficulty. In the following piece, we explore what makes this set so intriguing and perhaps a diamond in the rough. Click here to read more.
PSA SET REGISTRYSM SPOTLIGHT
Three for the Ages - The Number One Current Finest Big Three Basketball Mega Set
100% complete, this 218-card mega set consists of the 1948 Bowman, 1957-48 Topps and the 1961-62 Fleer sets, the Big Three in basketball. This collector has been in the top spot for two years, winning a "Best of the Registry" certificate for each year. The three major cards in the set, Mikan, Russell and Chamberlain are all PSA 9's. In addition, there are many cards in this set that are the single finest graded. Congratulations! Click here to view.
New Set Registry Special!
1960-Present - Sports and Non Sport Cards - For cards Valued under $100 - 10 Card Min - $6 each. Click here for details.
Benefits for Free Submissions Expanded
We are now offering expanded benefits for those larger sets that are being completed. Here is the complete list:
If the set composition is 1-50 cards or tickets you are entitled to 1 free grading.
If the set composition is 51-150 cards or tickets you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
If the set composition is 151-300 cards or tickets you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
If the set composition is 301-750 cards or tickets you are entitled to 5 free gradings.
If the set composition is 751-1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 6 free gradings.
If the set composition is over 1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 7 free gradings.
For information about how to submit your request for free submissions, visit the Benefits page.
New Set Composites Online
- 1888 Rafael Tuck & Sons Artistic Series Baseball
- 1935 Goudey - Master Baseball
- 1964 Bazooka Hand Cut Panel Baseball
- 1967 Topps Pin-Ups Baseball
- 1968 American Oil Double Panels Baseball
- 1971 Topps Tattoos Perforated Baseball
- 1972 Topps Candy Lid Test Issue Baseball
- 1983 Topps Stickers Boxes Hand-Cut Baseball
- 1985 Circle K Baseball
- 1989 Bimbo Cookies Super Stars Discs Baseball
- 1989 Kenner Starting Lineup Baseball Greats
- 1990 Donruss - Master Baseball
- 1992 Donruss Diamond Kings Baseball
- 1994 Ted Williams Co. Mike Schmidt Collection Baseball
- 1995 Finest Refractors Baseball
- 1997 Metal Universe Blast Furnace Baseball
- 2000 Upper Deck Yankees Master Collection Baseball
- 2005 Finest Refractors Baseball
- 2005 Finest X-Fractors Baseball
- 2006 Topps AFLAC Baseball
- 2007 Bowman AFLAC Baseball
- 2007 Bowman Sterling Black Refractors Baseball
- 2007 Bowman Sterling Dual Black Refractors Baseball
- 2007 Bowman Sterling Prospects Black Refractors Baseball
- 2007 Jewish Major Leaguers Israel Baseball League
- 2007 Topps Updates & Highlights Copper Baseball
- 2007 U.D. Masterpieces Baseball
- 2008 Topps Black Baseball
- 2008 Topps Own the Game Baseball
- Smokey Burgess Basic Set
- Smoky Burgess Master Set
- Bo Jackson Rookie Set
- Jake Peavy Rookie Set
- Ryne Sandberg Rookie Set
- All-Time Cardinals Baseball
- 1958 Topps Cleveland Indians
- 1961 Topps Minnesota Twins
- 1962 Topps Minnesota Twins
- 1964 Topps Minnesota Twins
- 1951 Berk Ross Singles Basketball
- 1991-92 Upper Deck Basketball
- 1993-94 Finest Basketball
- 1997-98 Collectors Choice Draft Trade Basketball
- 2004-05 SP Authentic Basketball
- 2004-05 Topps Luxury Box Red Carpet Legends Autographs Basketball
- Andrew Bynum Basic Set
- Andrew Bynum Master Set
- Luke Walton Basic Set
- Luke Walton Master Set
- Tim Duncan Rookie Set
- Shaquille O'Neal Rookie Set
- 1963 Post Cereal CFL Hand Cut Football
- 1968 O-Pee-Chee CFL Posters Football
- 1968 Topps Posters Football
- 1972 NFLPA Wonderful World Stamps Football
- 1982 Chiefs Police Football
- 1989 Score Supplemental Football
- 1992 Upper Deck Heroes Dan Marino Football
- 1997 Topps Stars Rookie Reprint Autographs Football
- 1999 Playoff Prestige SSD Gridiron Heritage Football
- 2000 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes Football
- 2005 Upper Deck Heroes Barry Sanders Football
- 2007 SP Authentic Football
- 2007 Topps Football
- Issac Bruce Rookie Set
- Joey Galloway Rookie Set
- Eddie George Rookie Set
- 1952 Bowman Small San Francisco 49ers
- 1940-41 O-Pee-Chee V301-2 Hockey
- 1969-70 O-Pee-Chee Toronto Maple Leafs
- 1923 German Boxing Transfers Misc Sports
- 1928 Ogdens Ltd. Pugilists in Action Misc Sports
- 1983 UNO Racing Misc Sports
- 1901 W. & F. Faulkner Golf Terms Misc Sports
- 1971 Fleer AHRA Drag Champs Misc Sports
- 1991 Pro Set PGA Tour Golf Misc Sports
- 1991 Stadium Club Charter Members Misc Sports
- 1991 Victoria Gallery Boxing Champions - Black Back Misc Sports
- 1998 Futura Platinum Boxing Legends Misc Sports
- Jack Johnson Master Set
- Jesse Owens Master Set
- 1888 Allen & Ginter Great Generals N15 Non-Sports
- 1888 Allen & Ginter Worlds Dudes N31 Non-Sports
- 1888 Lone Jack Cigarette Co. Language of Flowers N366 Non-Sports
- 1889 Kinney Bros. Famous Gems of the World N218 Non-Sports
- 1909 American Tobacco Military Series (T81) Non-Sports
- 1920 Blatz Gum Screen Stars R197 Non-Sports
- 1925 British American Tobacco Cinema Stars Set 2 Non-Sports
- 1933 Abdulla & Company Cinema Stars Brown Tone Non-Sports
- 1933 Papoose Gum V254 Non-Sports
- 1938 Godfrey Phillips Ltd. Bird Painting Non-Sports
- 1938 Liebig Caesar French Text Non-Sports
- 1939 C & T Bridgewater Film Stars 7th Series Non-Sports
- 1941 Defending America R40 Non-Sports
- 1942 America at War R12 Non-Sports
- 1948 Dinkie Gone With the Wind w/Tab Non-Sports
- 1949 Dinkie Warner Brothers Films w/Tab Non-Sports
- 1959 Kane Products LTD. Disc Stars Non-Sports
- 1959 Rinso Soap Powder Paladin Cards Non-Sports
- 1963 Topps Midgee Flags Non-Sports
- 1964 Donruss Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Canada Non-Sports
- 1965 Somportex The Exciting World of James Bond Non-Sports
- 1966 Topps Get Smart Panels Non-Sports
- 1966 Topps Get Smart Secret Agent Kit Non-Sports
- 1967 Donruss Monkees Set C Non-Sports
- 1967 Topps Angry Stickers Non-Sports
- 1968 Fleer Kookie Klassmates Non-Sports
- 1973 Oddest Odd Rods Re-Issue Non-Sports
- 1973 Topps Wacky Packages Series 2 - White Back Non-Sports
- 1978 Sunbeam Bread DC Super Heroes Stickers Non-Sports
- 1979 Star Trek Paul's Ice Cream Stickers Non-Sports
- 1981 Fleer Here's Bo Non-Sports
- 1983 Allens & Regina Star Wars Return of the Jedi Non-Sports
- 1983 O-Pee-Chee Star Wars Return of the Jedi Non-Sports
- 1991 Impel X-Force Promos Non-Sports
- 1992 Marvel Masterpiece Promos Non-Sports
- 1993 Marvel Masterpieces Promos Non-Sports
- 1996 Fleer/Skybox Amalgam Previews Non-Sports
- 1996 Marvel Ultra Onslaught Previews Non-Sports
- 1997 Marvel Premium QFX Promos Non-Sports
- 2007 Topps Allen & Ginter Mini Flags Non-Sports
- 1986-87 Edmunton Oilers Home Games Tickets
- 1991-92 Montreal Canadiens Home Games Tickets
- 1997-1998 Toronto Maple Leafs Home Games Tickets
Visit the Set Registry News page and learn which set composites have been recently added to the Registry and other Set Registry news.
Fun, informative, and sometimes controversial, the PSA Set Registry Messageboard is the place to get involved with other collectors who are currently participating in the Set Registry program or are just beginning. Click here to chat on the Set Registry Messageboard.
The PSA Set Registry is a work in progress and we invite your comments and ideas. Send your suggestions to [email protected].
Question: What does the word "skinning" mean in the world of trading cards?
Answer: Skinning is a form of card doctoring where someone will, in essence, affix a counterfeit front to an authentic back. For example, they may take a card from an issue where the backs are generic or nondescript like the backs found in the T206 set (since they have ad backs and no player information) and remove the face of the card. The idea is to take a common card or lower value card, remove the front and replace it with a counterfeit front of a star player like Ty Cobb or Cy Young. This is not something you see often but occasionally someone will attempt to "sandwich" these two pieces together and sell it to an unknowing buyer.
|Have your sports autographs authenticated by PSA/DNA. Submission forms are available online at the PSADNA web site. Just click here.
||Find out what your cards are really worth. Subscribe to the Sports Market Report and have it delivered to your door every month. Click here.
||Join the PSA Collectors Club today! Just click here to learn about the many benefits of membership.
Collectors Universe Public Friday
Collectors Universe Lobby Area
1921 East Alton Avenue
Santa Ana CA 92705
United States of America
September 12, 2008
- PSA and PCGS representatives will be available to answer questions and accept submissions for all levels of service from 10am to 4pm
- Please call Customer Service 888-469-2646 for more details
Honabach & Sons Present PSA/DNA days at Frank and Sons Collectible Show
Frank and Sons
19649 E. San Jose Ave
Ciy of Industry CA
United States of America
September 20, 2008
- PSA/DNA autograph experts will be available to authenticate your previously signed autographs 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Please call 909-590-3713 for more details
Philadelphia Sports Show
Greater Reading Expo Center
United States of America
September 26 - 28, 2008
- PSA representatives will be available to answer questions and accept submissions for all levels of service. PSA/DNA autograph experts will be available to authenticate your previously signed autographs on-site at the PSA Booth
- Visit the Philadelphia Sports Card & Memorabilia website at www.phillyshow for more information
For more information about PSA services,
call PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121 or visit www.psacard.com.
Advertise with PSA and PSA/DNA
© 1999 - 2008 Collectors Universe. All Rights Reserved.
We offer a wealth of advertising opportunities both online and print.
Please contact Rebecca Tran, Director of Advertising at [email protected], 800-447-8848 ext. 356 or directly at: 949-892-8604.