WEST BERLIN, NJ - MAR. 19, 2013 - In less than three weeks bidding will close in the Goldin Auctions April 5 Auction, and nearly 850 items of sports, entertainment and historical memorabilia, including one of the highest graded editions of the 1909 T206 Honus Wagner card in existence, will have new owners. Bidding on The Wagner, graded EX 5 (MC) by PSA has reached $1.175 million*. (*includes 10% buyer's premium)
"With less than 50 authenticated Wagner cards out there, the opportunity to purchase one does not come around very often and it is obvious from the response since our auction went live less than two weeks ago, there is quite a demand for this card from serious collectors," said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions. "The fact that this Wagner carries a grade of EX 5 by PSA puts it in a class with just two others that have ever been graded. The day has arrived for someone new to lay claim to this investment grade piece of baseball and American history."
Here are a few other highlights from the Goldin Auction closing on April 5 (not including buyer's premium). For more information or to register for a free catalog, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com.
- LOT #5 - 1933 Goudey #106 Nap Lajoie - $34,185
- LOT #9 - 2009 Alex Rodriguez NY Yankees World Series Ring - $33,657
- LOT #476 - 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie - $31,077
- LOT #4 - 1909-11 E90-1 Joe Jackson Rookie Card (PSA VG-EX 4) - $28,251
- LOT #18 - 1994 Joe Montana Game Worn KC Chiefs Jersey (vs 49ers) - $15,700
- LOT #3 - Exceptional Babe Ruth Single Signed Baseball - $13,310
- LOT #2 - Honus Wagner Single Signed Baseball - $10,992
- LOT #17 - 1994 Steve Young Game Worn SF 49ers Jersey (vs Chiefs) - $8,639
- LOT #11 - 1959-60 Stan Musial Game Used & Signed Bat - $7,786
- LOT #484 - 1952 Tip Top Bread Label (Near) Set (47 of 48) - $6,050
- LOT #55 - 2001 Derek Jeter Game Used & Signed World Series Bat - $5,990
- LOT #63 - 1985 Pete Rose Corked Game Used Bat - $5,900
- LOT #197 - Elston Howard Single Signed N.L. Baseball - $5,826
- LOT #676 - 1972-74 Earl Monroe NYK Home Jersey & Shorts - $5,500
- LOT #677 - 1975-76 Bill Bradley NYK Game Used & Signed Home Jersey - $5,500
- LOT #29 - 1993 Ricky Henderson Blue Jays World Series Game Used & Signed Jersey - $5,185
- LOT #10 - Thomas Jefferson Signed Act of Congress - $5,125
- LOT #53 - 1971-72 Roberto Clemente Game Used Bat - $5,059
About The Wagner
Issued by the American Tobacco Company, from 1909-11 as part of the T206 series, less than 200 Wagner cards were ever issued. Production of the card was halted after Wagner, the Pittsburgh Pirates star shortstop, requested the tobacco company to stop including his image in the cigarette packs. As a result, there have been less than 50 authentic Wagner cards submitted for authentication and/or grading by the major card grading companies.
The T206 Honus Wagner up for auction has been referred to as "The Jumbo Wagner" by many in the world of sports collectibles due to its unusually ample borders. These dimensions, exceeding by far the standard size for a T206 baseball card, have virtually preserved a Near Mint example within its boundaries, elevating this example to an even higher and possibly unprecedented level in terms of condition. This card's very existence, along with its condition, have defied virtually all odds to provide one fortunate collector the bragging rights of a superb example of the most coveted card in the arena of sports collectibles.
Based upon the current environment and historical price increases, it is possible for this sale to set a new overall record price for The Wagner. In 2012, a Wagner graded VG 3 sold for over $1.2 million - a 76% increase over what another VG 3 Wagner sold for just four years earlier. The only known public sale of an EX 5 Wagner was, for this card in 2008, for $1.62 million.
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $600 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. With the launch of Goldin Auctions he continues to break new ground and offer collectors the best in memorabilia. Goldin Auctions items come with LOA from third party authenticators such as PSA/DNA. All game worn items come with LOA from team, player, league or approved third party authenticator. Goldin Auctions features a team of world-class memorabilia experts. For more information visit www.goldinauctions.com.