PSA HOBBY NEWS
19th Century Only "July 18th" Auction Closes This Friday!
Harry Wright MacIntire Studios Cabinet, Enormous selection of E-Candy cards, Tobacco Cards, 100 graded Old Judges and many other Vintage Rarities! Click here to View the Lots. Consignment deadline for Fall Auction is September 1, 2008. Call toll-free at 800-801-4399 to consign today!
Mastro Auctions' Historic Live Sports Auction To Blow into Chicago this August Mastro Auctions, the world's leading Sports and Americana auction house, has announced that it will bring its second Live Sports Auction to the Second City on Friday, August 1st at 8:30 p.m. at the ESPN Zone in Chicago. The historic auction will include more than 90 items of the world's most coveted pieces of current and vintage sports memorabilia including several that have never before been available to the public. For the Full Auction Preview online, visit www.mastroauctions.com.
PSA SET REVIEW
Collector Perspective: Half-Point Grading and What it Means to Me
PSA half-point grading is still new to a lot of collectors. While it is only a few months old, strong price premiums are being recorded for cards that achieve this "high-end" label. More and more collectors are enjoying the benefits of the service. Tony Fioto is one of them. A longtime collector of high-grade 1953 Topps baseball cards, Fioto put this article together, sharing his views of the system that has changed the market. To read more about how half-point grading has affected Fioto's collecting experience in a positive way,
MLB All-Star Game Ticket Registry Set: Just the Ticket for a Challenge
The All-Star Game and the festivities surrounding the event have long been important to the sport of baseball. It is a time for the stars to shine, to showcase their talents on a national level. From veterans whose career may be coming to close to rookies who may have taken the league by storm, it offers a chance for fans to see great players representing each team around the league. In the following piece, we explore the idea of collecting All Star Game tickets. From Babe Ruth's home run in the very first All Star Game in 1933 to the present day, collecting tickets from this great event offers the collector a tremendous challenge.
Click here to read on.
PSA SET REGISTRYSM SPOTLIGHT
Scott D. Ireland Collection - The Number One Current Finest 1933 Goudey Sport Kings Set
What an eclectic set! This 48 card set contains subjects from the sport of baseball through dog sledding. This collectors' set is packed with "Top Pops." Within this group are several HOF'ers. One of which happens to be Ty Cobb in PSA 10, the single finest graded example! One can clearly see why this set has dominated the category since its inception back in 2004.
Click here to enjoy.
PSA Set Registry Awards 2008
Winners have been announced. Congratulations to all participants for another great year! We could not do it without you, the collectors. To review the list of winners, please
click here. For 2008 HOF Inductees please click here.
Set Registry Luncheon
Today, July 15th, is the final day to email your RSVP for the August 1st luncheon in Rosemont, IL. If you are planning to attend the luncheon, please email your name and that of your guest to [email protected].
V2 linked to Collectors Corner
The Set Registry is now linked to Collectors Corner, a Collectors Universe company. Collectors Corner is a marketplace for coins, currency and trading cards. When you are in a set in MY SETS, if an item that is being listed in Collectors Corner is available to fill a slot or upgrade an item in your set, there will be a link in the ACTION column. Clicking this link will take you directly to Collectors Corner where you can purchase the item from an authorized dealer.
V2 Hot Tip - Did You Know...
In MY SETS, you can do the following:
- add, edit, upgrade, or delete items
- add, edit, update, or delete your set description and change your set preferences
- perform What If? scenarios
Change in Free Submissions Policy Effective 6/1/08
In order to qualify for free submissions, your set must be 90% complete. Should you qualify for free submissions, email your name, address and phone number to [email protected] with the name of the set and you will be mailed a submission form to be used exclusively for your free grades.
Set Registry Special!
$14/5-day (approx.) - Sports and Non-Sport cards valued under $500.
Click here for details.
Visit the Set Registry News page and learn which set composites have been recently added to the Registry and other Set Registry news. The following are new set composites added to the Registry:
- 1954 Topps Baltimore Orioles
- 1954 Topps Chicago Cubs
- 1954 Topps Chicago White Sox
- 1954 Topps New York Giants
- 1954 Topps Philadelphia Athletics
- 1954 Topps Washington Senators
- 1955 Bowman Milwaukee Braves
- 1959 Topps Boston Red Sox
- 1959 Topps San Francisco Giants
- 1971 Topps Boston Red Sox
- 1984 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1985 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1986 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1987 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1987 Topps St. Louis Cardinals
- 1988 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1989 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1990 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1992 Topps Baltimore Orioles
- 2006 Topps Cincinnati Reds
- 1969-70 Topps Atlanta Hawks
- 1969-70 Topps Baltimore Bullets
- 1969-70 Topps Chicago Bulls
- 1969-70 Topps Cincinnati Royals
- 1969-70 Topps Detroit Pistons
- 1969-70 Topps Philadelphia 76ers
- 1969-70 Topps Phoenix Suns
- 1969-70 Topps San Diego Rockets
- 1969-70 Topps San Francisco Warriors
- 1969-70 Topps Seattle Supersonics
- Heisman Trophy Winners Autographs
- 1961 Topps Pittsburgh Steelers
- 1976 Topps New England Patriots
- 1977 Topps Mexican Atlanta Falcons
- 1977 Topps Mexican Kansas City Chiefs
- 1977 Topps Mexican New York Giants
- 1977 Topps Mexican Philadelphia Eagles
- 1977 Topps Mexican San Francisco 49ers
- 1984 Topps Los Angeles Rams
- 1987 Topps San Francisco 49ers
- 1969-70 Topps Pittsburgh Penguins
Fun, informative, and sometimes controversial, the PSA Set Registry Messageboard is the place to get involved with other collectors who are currently participating in the Set Registry program or are just beginning. Click here to chat on the Set Registry Messageboard.
The PSA Set Registry is a work in progress and we invite your comments and ideas. Send your suggestions to [email protected].
PSA Q & A
I have just started to collect Wacky Packages from the 1970s and was wondering when this issue was first released?
Many hobbyists believe that Wacky Packages entered the market in the 1970, however, they were initially released in the late-1960s. At first, these comical cards didn't catch on but, in 1973, with a change to the format from a punch-n-lick design to a peel-n-stick design, this issue took off. Since they became so popular in the 1970s, many people mistakenly assume that is when they first hit the market.
Which one of the following players do you think deserves to be in the MLB Hall of Fame the most?
- Shoeless Joe Jackson
- Roger Maris
- Pete Rose
- Thurman Munson
Click here to answer. Results will be posted in the next Insider.
Results from last survey: 43% answered 1963 Topps Pete Rose is the most important rookie cards of the 1960s.
Click here for a complete breakdown.
|Have your sports autographs authenticated by PSA/DNA. Submission forms are available online at the PSADNA web site. Just click here.
||Find out what your cards are really worth. Subscribe to the Sports Market Report and have it delivered to your door every month. Click here.
||Join the PSA Collectors Club today! Just click here to learn about the many benefits of membership.|
Want To Sell on Collectors Corner? You must first be an authorized dealer.
Contact Mike Brandow 1-800-669-3158 or email Mike at [email protected].
PSA Set Registry and Collectors Corner Team Up to Provide a Great New Service.
Click here to read more.
Current Sports Cards for Sale: 31,490 items, valued at $3,500,986
Current Coins for Sale: 37,443 items, valued at $42,321,746
Current Notes for Sale: 1,556 items, valued at $3,079,480
National Sport Collectors Convention
Donald Stephens Convention Center
5555 North River Road
Rosemont IL 60018
United States of America
July 30 - August 03, 2008
- PSA will be offering on-site grading--please see the booth for pricing details
- PSA representatives will be available to answer all questions and accept submissions for all levels of service. PSA/DNA autograph experts, will be available to authenticate your previously signed autographs on-site
- Visit the National website here for more information
Collectors Universe Public Friday
Collectors Universe Lobby Area
1921 East Alton Avenue
Santa Ana CA 92705
United States of America
August 08, 2008
- PSA and PCGS representatives will be available to answer questions and accept submissions for all levels of service from 10am to 4pm
- Please call Customer Service 888-469-2646 for more details
East Coast National
Westchester county Center
198 Central Avenue
White Plains NY
United States of America
August 14 - 17, 2008
- PSA representatives will be available to answer questions and accept submissions for all levels of service
- PSA/DNA autograph experts will be available to authenticate your previously signed autographs on-site at the PSA Booth
For more information about PSA services,
call PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121 or visit www.psacard.com.
Advertise with PSA and PSA/DNA
© 1999 - 2008 Collectors Universe. All Rights Reserved.
We offer a wealth of advertising opportunities both online and print.
Please contact Rebecca Tran, Director of Advertising at [email protected], 800-447-8848 ext. 356 or directly at: 949-892-8604.