Have your sports autographs authenticated by Jimmy Spence, this country's foremost sports autograph expert. Submission forms are available online at the
PSADNA web site.
Just click here.
Find out what
your cards are
Subscribe to the
Sports Market Report and have it delivered to your door every month. Click here.
PSA HOBBY HISTORY
The History of Goudey Gum Company
In a turbulent part of the 20th century, darkened by political trouble and economic hardships, the Goudey Gum Company brought gum and baseball cards together to create something fun and enjoyable. By introducing gum baseball cards to the marketplace, this Boston-based company made history before fading into it. In this article, Marshall Fogel takes a detailed look at the life of the Goudey Gum Company.
Click here to read more.
PSA HOBBY TIPS
All Bats are Not Created Equal: How Photos and Player Characteristics Come Into Play
Game used bat collecting is an aspect of the hobby that's still in its infancy, but one that's beginning to mature thanks to increased interest and better authentication methods. In this article, PSA President Joe Orlando takes a detailed look at bat collecting and lets you know what to look for in game used lumber.
Click here to read on.
PSA SPORTS TRIVIA
All-Star Game Trivia: Looking Back at 70 Years of Records from the Summer Classic
Did you know...? There are dozens of All-Star records listed here, from the famous ones to the most obscure. Who is the only player to steal home in an All-Star game? The only player to hit two triples in one game? Who hit the first home run? Who was the winning pitcher the most often? It's all here!
Click here to read on.
SET REGISTRY SPOTLIGHT
Whip's 4192 Rose Collection - The Number One Current Finest Pete Rose Basic Set
There are three other current Pete Rose basic sets that are 100%, but none has the high GPA that Whip's set has. With the exception of just two PSA 8s, the set is filled with PSA 9s and 10s. But Whip needs to watch his back as there is plenty of update activity in this category! Click here to view.
New Set Registry Grading Special! If you are collecting Vintage cards (pre-1975), you can submit your commons for $8 a card with a 15-day turnaround! There is NO MINIMUM required. Click here for details.
Lunch is on Us!
If you are a PSA Set Registrant you are invited to attend a luncheon to be held in your honor on Friday, July 25th from 1-3 p.m. at the Sheraton Hotel in conjunction with the National convention in Atlantic City. E-mail invitations were sent out June 23rd. RSVP by Wednesday, July 9th! If you did not receive your email invitation, please contact [email protected].
Visit the Set Registry News page and learn which set composites have been recently added to the Registry and other Set Registry news.
To see what new sets are soon to be added, visit the Set Request List. If your set is not listed, send us your request using the Set Request Form.
New composites recently added include:
Fun, informative, and sometimes controversial, the PSA Set Registry Messageboard is the place to get involved with other collectors who are currently participating in the Set Registry program or are just beginning. Click here to chat on the Set Registry Messageboard.
- 1971 Kellogg's Baseball - Basic Set (Updated)
- 1971 Kellogg's Baseball - Master Set
- 1975 Kellogg's Baseball - Master Set
- 1977 Kellogg's Baseball - Master Set
- 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks Refractors Baseball
- 2002 Bowman Chrome Refractors Baseball
- Gary Carter Basic Set
- Gary Carter Master Set (Updated)
- Stan Musial Basic Set (Updated)
- Stan Musial Master Set
- Gaylord Perry Basic Set
- Gaylord Perry Master Set
- Robin Roberts Basic Set (Updated)
- Robin Roberts Master Set
- Alex Rodriguez Basic Set
- Alex Rodriguez Master Set
- 1949 Bowman New York Yankees
- 1950 Bowman New York Yankees
- 1953 Topps New York Yankees
- 1954 Bowman New York Yankees
- 1965 Topps New York Mets
- 1966 Topps New York Mets
- 1968 Topps New York Mets
- 1968 Topps New York Yankees
- 1976 Topps Boston Red Sox
- Connie Hawkins Basic Set
- Connie Hawkins Master Set (Updated)
- Phil Jackson Basic Set
- Phil Jackson Master Set
- Hakeem Olajuwon Basic Set
- Hakeem Olajuwon Master Set
- David Robinson Master Set (Updated)
- Harold Carmichael Basic Set
- Harold Carmichael Master Set
- Garrison Hearst Basic Set
- Garrison Hearst Master Set
- 1961 Fleer San Diego Chargers
- 1933-34 Hamilton Gum (V288) Hockey
- 1935-36 O-Pee-Chee Series C Hockey
- Bernie Parent Basic Set
- Bernie Parent Master Set
- Chris Pronger Master Set
- 1993 Cardz Tales From the Crypt Chrome
- 1993 Dynamic Marketing Escape of the Dinosaurs Chrome
- 1996 Duocards Abbott & Costello Chrome
- 1996 Duocards Gone with the Wind Chrome
- 1996 Duocards It's a Wonderful Life Chrome
- 1996 Duocards The Wizard of Oz Chrome
- 1996 Kitchen Sink Universal Monsters Bio-Chrome
- 2001 Upper Deck Golf Gallery
- 2001 Upper Deck Golf Promos
The PSA Set RegistryTM is a work in progress and we invite your comments and ideas. Send your suggestions to [email protected].
PSA Q & A
I have a Mike Schmidt game used bat from the late 1970s. It is a H&B model bat with his name in block letters on the barrel. There is a piece of red tape on the middle of the bat -- it's just one clean strip. What is this for? Should I remove it?
Mike Schmidt actually had a signature contract with the Adirondack bat company -- a competitor to H&B. Mike probably placed the tape on his H&B bat to make it look like an Adirondack on television and from afar. This is something that I have seen before, even with a couple of Willie Mays bats! I would not remove it because the existence of the tape actually gives the bat character and a story -- a story that may add evidence to the authenticity.
Going into the 2003 All-Star game, who is the best overall player in baseball?
- Barry Bonds! Who else?
- Carlos Delgado! If he played in New York he would be as famous as Michael Jordan!
- Albert Pujols! The super-super-superstar of the future!
- Ichiro Suzuki! Speed like Henderson, arm like Clemente, batting average like Ted Williams!
- Sammy Sosa! It hasn't been a great year so far, but Sammy will rise to the top once more!
Click here to answer. Results will be posted in the next Insider.
Results from last survey: 31% said that the Toronto Blue Jays are the most surprising baseball team of the year. Click here for a complete breakdown.
Superior Sports' National Sports Auction Is Now Online!
Superior Sports welcomes you its July 2003 Catalog and Auction, which will conclude, one lot at a time, LIVE at the National Sports Collectors Convention on the evenings of Thursday, July 24th and Friday, July 25th. This auction offers something for EVERY collector out there, and every collector is invited to participate. Bidding can be accomplished in many ways: at the Live Auction; through live bidding on EBAY Live; via telephone, mail or fax; through a phone agent; or you may bid on Superior's web site by clicking here. Online bids may be placed any time up until 24 hours before the beginning of the Live portion. With so many amazing cards and unique memorabilia items up for sale, this will be an auction event to remember!
See PSA at These Upcoming Shows!
The 24th National Sports Collectors Convention
Atlantic City Convention Center
One Ocean Way
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
July 21-27, 2003
For more information about the 24th National Sports Collectors Convention call 1-877-5-NATIONAL (1-877-562-8466) or visit www.natlconv.com.
For more information about PSA services, call PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121.
PSA will be offering on-site grading at the following prices:
- $35 per card for the same or next day service
- $50 per card for two hour service guaranteed
Cut-off time for same day/next day service is 12 noon on Sunday 7/25.
PSA representatives will be available to answer all questions and accept submissions for all levels of service through Sunday.
PSA/DNA autograph experts, James Spence and Steve Grad, will be available to authenticate your previously signed autographs on-site. Added bonus! Game used bat authentication will also be available.
Date: August 2, 2003
Time: 10am - 2pm
1921 E. Alton Ave.
Santa Ana, CA 92705
For more information on the PSA Saturday Show or PSA services, call PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121 or visit www.psacard.com
PSA SATURDAY SPECIAL SERVICE
NO SHIPPING COSTS!!
- $10 per card - Submit your cards at PSA Saturday on August 2nd for pick-up at the West Coast Collectors Convention at Hollywood Park September 4th-7th.
You may also have your cards mailed to you. Return shipping fees will apply. Please refer to the shipping chart located on the reverse side of all PSA invoices.
Admission is free! PSA representatives are available to answer questions and accept submissions for all levels of service.
© 1999 - 2005 Collectors Universe Inc. All Rights Reserved.