GREAT MEADOWS, N.J. - Love of the Game Auctions, an Internet-based sports auction house catering to the passionate collector of memorabilia and cards, announced today that its Fall 2013 auction is now open for bidding.
The auction closing date is Saturday, November 16. The sale features sports cards and memorabilia from the late 19th Century to the present, highlighted by a rare and valuable T206 Sherry "Magie" error card; a beautiful 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle card; a complete, autographed 1955 Bowman Football set, and the hobby's highest-grade 1929 Kashin Publications complete set.
"With this auction, we celebrate our first anniversary," said LOTG Auction Director Al Crisafulli. "It's been an incredible ride - we've handled an incredible amount of historically significant material, met a host of wonderful people, and I'm proud that this is our best and biggest auction yet."
The auction contains a large selection of 1938 Goudey baseball cards, which together make up one of the highest-graded sets in the hobby. They include high-grade specimens of Hall of Famers Bob Feller, Joe DiMaggio, Jimmy Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Bobby Doerr, Charlie Gehringer, Al Lopez and Ernie Lombardi.
There are also a host of scarce cabinet cards from the early 1900s, including M110 Sporting Life cabinets of Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb and Nap Lajoie. Additionally, the auction includes an attractive group of higher-grade 1952 Topps cards, all graded by PSA.
"We're also thrilled to offer a great assortment of rare type cards from the early 20th Century," explained Crisafulli. "Type collectors will have plenty to look at in this auction, be it an incredibly rare brand like Darby Chocolates or Kalamazoo Bats, or an issue like M101-4 and -5, which have multiple back varieties. There's a lot represented in this auction."
The auction also features a large group of T213-2 Coupon Cigarettes cards from 1914, including many Hall of Famers. Virtually all the cards offered from this condition-sensitive set boast extraordinary eye appeal.
Additional interesting items abound in this auction, including:
- The hobby's highest-graded example of a 1923-24 Billiken Andy Cooper. This very rare Cuban card of the Hall of Fame Negro Leaguer is graded EX+
- An exceptional 1939 handwritten letter, from Hall of Famer Ty Cobb to his financial advisor
- A beautiful, near mint unopened pack of 1953 Red Man Tobacco, with the baseball card neatly tucked inside and undamaged
- A host of 19th Century baseball cards, including 1887 N28 Allen & Ginter, 1888 N162 Goodwin Champions, 1887 N172 Old Judge, 1895 N300 Mayo's Cut Plug, and more
- An exceptional group of T206 cards including a host of Southern Leaguers, Hall of Famers, and rare backs
- An extraordinarily rare complete set of 1978 "Grand Slam" baseball cards, with 199 of a possible 200 autographed by all-time greats such as Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg, Stan Musial, and many more
- A diverse assortment of baseball, football, and hockey autographs
Bidding for Love of the Game's Fall auction will remain open until November 16. For more information on Love of the Game and how to become a consignor or bidder, visit the company's website at loveofthegameauctions.com.