WEST BERLIN, NJ - APR. 6, 2013 - The numbers 56, 61 and 3,000 are all special in the world of baseball. You can now put $2,105,770.50 into that class as a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner graded EX 5 (MC) by PSA was sold for that amount by Goldin Auctions today to become the highest price ever paid for any baseball card in a public auction. In all, more than 30 record prices were paid in the auction which generated more than $3.2 million in sales.
"To have surpassed the highest price ever paid for a baseball card at auction by nearly $500,000 is a spectacular outcome of an auction that riveted the hobby and captured the attention of media worldwide for the past month," said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions. "With less than 50 authenticated Wagner cards out there, the opportunity to purchase one does not come around very often and it was obvious from the fevered pitch of the bidding that there was quite a demand for this card from many people," "We are honored to have been able to bring this card to auction and thrilled to present it to its new owner who has chosen to remain anonymous at this time."
Nearly as impressive as the sale price of The Wagner was the fervent bidding on a 2001 Derek Jeter Game Used & Signed World Series Bat which sold for a remarkable $37,486.13. The only known Jeter game used World Series bat opened at $2,000 and stood at less than $7,000 entering the final week of the auction. Similarly, a 2009 Alex Rodriguez NY Yankees World Series Ring far exceeded pre-auction estimates by selling for $50,398.88.
The company is also accepting consignments of its next auction in June. For more information or to consign an item, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com. Here are a other highlights from Goldin Auctions (all prices include buyer's premium). A complete list is also available at www.goldinauctions.com.
- LOT #5 - 1933 Goudey #106 Nap Lajoie - $42,304.50
- LOT #9 - 2009 Alex Rodriguez NY Yankees World Series Ring - $50,398.88
- LOT #476 - 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie - $38,362.50
- LOT #55 - 2001 Derek Jeter Game Used & Signed World Series Bat - $37,486.13
- LOT #2 - Honus Wagner Single Signed Baseball - $35,292.38
- LOT #4 - 1909-11 E90-1 Joe Jackson Rookie Card (PSA VG-EX 4) - $34,961.63
- LOT #10 - Thomas Jefferson Signed Act of Congress - $18,109.13
- LOT #18 - 1994 Joe Montana Game Worn KC Chiefs Jersey (vs 49ers) - $17,662.50
- LOT #6 - Norm Van Brocklin Game Worn College All-Stars Uniform - $17,662.50
- LOT #184 - Baseball Signed by 18 Perfect Game Pitchers - $17,220.38
- LOT #131 - 2008 Mariano Rivera Game use Glove - $13,154.63
- LOT #391 - 1923 Babe Ruth W515-1 PSA Gem Mint 10 - $12,510
- LOT #11 - 1959-60 Stan Musial Game Used & Signed Bat - $10,599.75
- LOT #685 - NBA Living Legends Signed 1 of 1 - $10,338.75
- LOT #17 - 1994 Steve Young Game Worn SF 49ers Jersey (vs Chiefs) - $9,718.88
- LOT #53 - 1971-72 Roberto Clemente Game Used Bat - $8,350.88
- LOT #63 - 1985 Pete Rose Corked Game Used Bat - $8,031.38
- LOT #29 - 1993 Ricky Henderson World Series Game Used & Signed Jersey - $7,7,65.88
- LOT #197 - Elston Howard Single Signed N.L. Baseball - $7,210.13
- LOT #27 - 2012 Derek Jeter Game Used Jersey - $7,068.38
- LOT #8 - 2002 Greg Maddux Gold Glove Award - $6,977.25
- LOT #343 - 1924 Negro League Panorama Signed by 180+ Players - $6,900.75
- LOT #509 - 1951 Mickey Mantle First Game Ticket Stub - $6,892.88
- LOT #510 - NY Yankee Program and Scorecard from Mantle's First Game - $6,748.88
- LOT #392 - 1933 Babe Ruth Goudey #144 - $6,637.50
- LOT #7 - Pat Tillman Signed Football - $6,033.38
- LOT #346 - Mickey Mantle LeRoy Neiman Artist Signed Serigraph - $5,702.63
- LOT #566 - 1973-74 Carl Eller Vikings Game Worn Jersey - $5,576.63
- LOT #564 - 1987-90 Bo Jackson Raiders Game Worn Jersey - $5,302.13
- LOT #12 - Bernie Parent Original Art - $5,302.13
- LOT #585 - 2011 Arian Foster Game Used and Signed Jersey - $5,184
- LOT #678 - 1972-73 David Lattin Memphis Tams ABA Game Used Jersey - $4,984.88
- LOT #573 - 1997 Dan Marino Used and Signed Jersey - $4,712.63
- LOT #32 - 2009 Miguel Cabrera Game Used Jersey - $4,608
- LOT #304 - Mickey Mantle Rare Signed Flannel Vest - $4,608
- LOT #680 - 1992 Christian Laettner Dream team Uniform - $4,531.50
- LOT #33 - Bryce Harper Game Worn Minor League Jersey - $2,828.25
About The Wagner
Issued by the American Tobacco Company, from 1909-11 as part of the T206 series, less than 200 Wagner cards were ever issued. Production of the card was halted after Wagner, the Pittsburgh Pirates star shortstop, requested the tobacco company to stop including his image in the cigarette packs. As a result, there have been less than 50 authentic Wagner cards submitted for authentication and/or grading by the major card grading companies.
This T206 Honus Wagner has been referred to as "The Jumbo Wagner" by many in the world of sports collectibles due to its unusually ample borders. These dimensions, exceeding by far the standard size for a T206 baseball card, have virtually preserved a Near Mint example within its boundaries, elevating this example to an even higher and possibly unprecedented level in terms of condition. This card's very existence, along with its condition, have defied virtually all odds to provide one fortunate collector the bragging rights of a superb example of the most coveted card in the arena of sports collectibles.