Laguna Niguel, Ca. – Highly competitive bidding throughout numerous categories of Important Sports Memorabilia and Cards led to impressive results in SCP Auctions' recently concluded February 4th auction. Setting the pace was the sale's most anticipated and widely publicized item, THE BASEBALL HIT BY ALEX RODRIGUEZ FOR HIS 500TH CAREER HOME RUN. The baseball, which Arod smashed at Yankee Stadium on August 4th, 2007 to become the youngest player in MLB history to reach the revered 500 home run plateau, sold for $103,579. Other notable sales in the category of baseball memorabilia include a SPECTACULAR BABE RUTH SINGLE SIGNED BASEBALL which commanded $31,129; a 1952 ROY CAMPANELLA WORLD SERIES GAME USED BAT that sold for $25,726; a 1932 HANK GREENBERG GAME USED SIDEWRITTEN BAT that sold for $17,569 and a 1951 TED WILLIAMS GAME USED HOME RUN BAT that realized $17,424. A 1923 YANKEE STADIUM OPENING DAY PRESS PIN achieved a record price of $14,882 and a spectacular LOU GEHRIG SIGNED 8X10 PHOTO sold for $14,678. With the auction closing just a few days prior to Super Bowl Sunday, numerous football memorabilia lots saw spirited bidding, including a c.1962-65 CLEVELAND BROWNS JIM BROWN PROFESSIONAL MODEL JERSEY that brought $34,190 and a 1920'S NOTRE DAME SIGNED FOOTBALL W/ KNUTE ROCKNE AND ALL FOUR HORSEMEN that sold for $11,262. Basketball memorabilia also drew heavy interest in SCP's February 4th sale. Highlights form the hardwood include a 1996 NBA 50 GREATEST LITHO NBA EDITION #25 OF 100 that netted $48,000 and a 1989 MAGIC JOHNSON LOS ANGELES LAKERS GAME WORN HOME JERSEY that fetched $10,780.
Graded Sportscards and Sets
SCP Auctions also featured an outstanding array of graded pre-war and post-war sports cards, in addition to quality complete sets and card lots as part of the February event. Highly competitive bidding ensued throughout various card categories leading to some eye-popping results when the dust finally settled.
Pre-war card highlights include:
- T206 TY COBB (BAT ON SHOULDER) NM-MT PSA 8 sold for $25,076
- 1909-11 T206 JOHN MCGRAW MINT PSA 9 (1/4) sold for $20,035
- 1909-11 T206 CARL LUNDGREN (CHICAGO) NM PSA 7 sold for $19,078
- 1909-11 T206 SHERRY MAGIE VG PSA 3 sold for $18,840
- 1916 BOSTON STORE #82 JOE JACKSON VG PSA 3 sold for $14,700
- 1910 E286 JU JU DRUM TY COBB VG-EX PSA 4 (1/1) sold for $13,028
- 1877 BOSTON RED STOCKINGS JOSEPH WOOD TEAM CABINET sold for $12,865
- 1935 ZEENUT JOE DIMAGGIO (THROW.) W/ TAB AUTOGRAPHED sold for $12,865
- 1934 GOUDEY #61 LOU GEHRIG NM-MT PSA 8 sold for $10,626
- 1911 T205 GOLD BORDER KID ELBERFELD NM-MT PSA 8 sold for $5,141
- 1909-11 T206 CY YOUNG (PORTRAIT) EX-MT PSA 6 sold for $3,432
Post-war card highlights include:
A complete list of prices realized can be viewed online at www.scpauctions.com. David Kohler, President of SCP Auctions, stated: "We're thrilled with the results of this latest auction. The pattern of aggressive bidding, seen throughout a broad range of material, proves that the market for quality sports memorabilia and cards is thriving."
SCP Auctions is currently accepting consignments for their June, 2010 auction. Please call 800.350.2273 for more information or visit the company's website at www.scpauctions.com.