Seaford, NY - Babe Ruth's 1925 New York Yankees home jersey, one of only three Ruth home jerseys known to exist, and the only one likely to be in circulation, has sold for $264,210 on the final day of Lelands.com May auction. Bidding ended early the morning of May 31.
The jersey helped swell the two-day total for the auction to $4.2 million, making it the largest in the company's 15-year history. This comes in the very week in which Lelands.com announced that it will auction Barry Bonds's 73rd home run ball on June 25, in a live telecast over ESPN.
The Ruth jersey (lot #627) received 17 bids before the figurative gavel fell in the online auction. The jersey includes G.H. Ruth embroidered into the fabric, and a photo of the Babe wearing it.
Meanwhile, the much-publicized, so-called "Philly Find" of PSA graded 1911 M116 Sporting Life trading cards, 315 in all (Lot #1347) brought a winning bid of $175,831. (All prices include buyer's premium). Nineteen bids were placed before the final winning number.
A rare game used Ty Cobb bat, circa 1924-28 (#972) went for $70,332. Lou Gehrig's 1936 Sporting News MVP pocket watch (#676) went for $59,551, and Junior Gilliam's 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers world championship ring (#756) went for $42,551. Any of these three items could themselves have headlined the day's results.
- 552 - 1889 John L. Sullivan Silk and Flag from Bout Vs. Kilrain - $20,295
- 565 - 1976 Ali fight robe from Coopman bout - $24,018
- 690 - Thurman Munson's first signed contract - $10,278
- 778 - Willard Mullin original cover art from '54 Brooklyn Yearbook - $17,582
- 824 - New York Mets 12" 1969 World Series trophy - $14,041
- 1115 - Section of Fenway Park green monster wall (3'x7') - $7,939
- 1535 - Otto Graham Chapel Hill Navy Cloudbuster jersey - $27,068
- 1622 - Bill Sharman's first NBA Championship ring (1957) - $24,018
- 1678 - Ron Turcotte riding silks and pants worn for Secretariat - $11,909
- 1679 - 1930 Bill Arnold Indy 500 Rickenbacker Trophy - $13,557
- 1695 - 1893 Montreal AAA Stanley Cup Ring, the first Stanley Cup! - $36,091
- 1707 - 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics Silver Hockey Medal - $11,909
- 1756 - 1975 Bobby Orr last Boston Bruins Jersey - $29,827
- 1757 - 1960s Gordie Howe Red Wings Game Worn Jersey - $32,810
Full descriptions and all prices are available online at Lelands.com. Lelands.com was founded in 1987 and is a leading auction house for sports and entertainment memorabilia. Joshua Leland Evans is Founder and Chairman; Michael Heffner is President.